2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

My Stereo Install Thread.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 06:07 PM
hutch1973
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Stereo Install Thread.

Going to start this to help document what I come across as I do my first real audio install in a vehicle. I've always swapped out head units/speakers, but never done anything with an amp or sub. Going to do this to seek your input as I go along. I chose my components and system based on recommendations off this site, as well as some diy car audio sites. I've mentioned most of this on other threads, but in case anyone missed it...

Alpine head unit, Infinity Kappa series everything else. 6.5" Components up front, 6.5" speakers in the rear, 10" down fire sub in a custom built sealed box under the center seat up front, and a 5 channel amp. Ordered the wiring from KnuKonceptz. Sound deadening material from secondskin. Going to work on it little by little each weekend, mainly because the amp is on back order and I might not get it for a month and a half.

Plan was to mount the amp under a front seat, reuse all factory locations for the 6.5" speakers, and reuse the existing tweeter locations from my factory "infinity" system on the door pillars. Plan on using the sound deadening on the doors only, not going all out with the floor.

Not going to pretend I know what I'm doing, so when I am doing something wrong, feel free to tell me.

Started today by pulling out the center seat so I can start planning my box. Yanked the back doors apart and installed the 6.5's in the rear quads, using factory wiring. Going to run all new wires for everything when the amp comes, but just wanted to see how they sounded. Nice upgrade from the factory speakers even without the amp.

Secondly, started to look into the tweeter locations, and stumbled across my first issue. Hope was to keep speakers in factory locations, so anyone looking in had no idea (outside of head unit) what was there. What I didn't pay attention too was tweeter size, and ummm, need to figure out tweeter locations. New is on the left, factory on the right...obviously it's not going to fit so hot. Curious what you've all done.

did a quick temp mount to see how'd they'd look mounted externally at the same locations, not crazy about it, but here's that....

Final question...with sound deadening, do I cover this flap in the rear door?

Any thoughts of criticisms of anything is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by hutch1973; 04-10-2009 at 05:49 PM.
Old 04-04-2009, 06:27 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No I wouldnt cover that flap in the rear door. Thats there to allow the cabin the depressureize when you close the doors. Its not that big of an issue on these trucks, but you try to cover that up in a newer modle Ford, and your in some big trouble. Those damn things seal up really good, and in order to fully close the door, those flaps must be open.

Very good choice on components, and I am glad to hear you say that you are going to upgrade the wiring too, most people tend to over look that part of an install. Espically on a brand like Dodge where they cut costs on the wiring. (I.E.: Manufacturer reccomends a 10 gauge wire, Dodge uses an 11 or 12....)

Old 04-04-2009, 08:51 PM
hutch1973
Captain

Originally Posted by Laramie1997
No I wouldnt cover that flap in the rear door. Thats there to allow the cabin the depressureize when you close the doors. Its not that big of an issue on these trucks, but you try to cover that up in a newer modle Ford, and your in some big trouble. Those damn things seal up really good, and in order to fully close the door, those flaps must be open.

Very good choice on components, and I am glad to hear you say that you are going to upgrade the wiring too, most people tend to over look that part of an install. Espically on a brand like Dodge where they cut costs on the wiring. (I.E.: Manufacturer reccomends a 10 gauge wire, Dodge uses an 11 or 12....)
Thanks for the heads up, figured it was something along those lines, but wasn't sure how necessary it was. It did seem to seal itself up good enough anyway. What do you think of the tweeter location? Not sure if I like it but not sure where else to put them. Hoping others on here have some good ideas.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:21 PM
el_oso
Professional

I'll be watching this thread to see how it goes.

I re-did my entire system a while back using some of the same components you are using. The Kappas are a nice pic, and of course you can't go wrong with Alpine. Your first glitch was mine as well (the tweeters in the A-pillars), although my truck came with the standard cover. I bought a second hand set of "Infinity Type" covers BEFORE I bought my components . Thought I wanted to raise the sound stage. I messed around for a long time trying to figure a way to make them look less obtrusive but it would have involved grinding and shaping and gluing ... and too much trouble for me. I ended up locating my tweeters up near the top front of the door panels, there's a perfect flat spot. I also got some 'Agate" color interior paint and meticulously brushed the silver tweeters, under a magnifying glass, so as not to use a spray and paint the driver underneath, to match my interior. And be careful not to drop one of those suckers, the mesh dents easily ... un-dents not so much.

My system:

Alpine DVA-9861 DVD/CD with Ipod jack.
Infinity Kappa Series 6.5 Components up front
Infinity Kappa Series 5.25 Components in the rear
Infinity Kappa Perfect Series 12.1 Subwoofers X2
Infinity Reference 7541a Amp (drives the components)
*139w x 4 @2ohm Kappa Load
Infinity Reference 1211a Amp (drives the subwoofers)
*1300w x1 @2ohm Dual Subwoofer Load
KnuKonceptz Krystal Series RCA Interconnects
Stinger Matte Blue 1/0 Power Cable > 4g
Stinger Matte Gray 4g Ground
Stinger 12g/14g Speaker Wire

I custom built an MDF/Fiberglass, 2 sealed 1.0cf chambers, downfiring box. It's a custom fit under the rear seat, factory match vinyl skin. I then attached a piece of brown smoke 3/8" plexi spaced 7/8" off the front to which I have mounted the two amps. The back seat has become useless except for putting things on the seat since the amps take up all the legroom. Plus I removed the jack/bracket and remounted a carrier under the front seat to hold them.

I'd post a pic but I never got to taking them after the final install due to some life problems that came up at the time, and right now I have the inside gutted to run those new power cables mentioned above, plus maybe new carpet as well. I've included a pic or two of the sub enclosure before it was skinned to give you an idea.

As soon as it's all back together I post some pics ... which also means a new camera .

Last edited by el_oso; 04-14-2009 at 09:44 PM.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:49 PM
hutch1973
Captain

Originally Posted by el_oso
I'll be watching this thread to see how it goes.

I re-did my entire system a while back using some of the same components you are using. The Kappas are a nice pic, and of course you can't go wrong with Alpine. Your first glitch was mine as well (the tweeters in the A-pillars), although my truck came with the standard cover. I bought a second hand set of "Infinity Type" covers BEFORE I bought my components . Thought I wanted to raise the sound stage. I messed around for a long time trying to figure a way to make them look less obtrusive but it would have involved grinding and shaping and gluing ... and too much trouble for me. I ended up locating my tweeters up near the top front of the door panels, there's a perfect flat spot. I also got some 'Agate" color interior paint and meticulously brushed the silver tweeters, under a magnifying glass, so as not to use a spray and paint the driver underneath, to match my interior. And be careful not to drop one of those suckers, the mesh dents easily ... un-dents not so much.

My system:

Alpine DVA-9861 DVD/CD with Ipod jack.
Infinity Kappa Series 6.5 Components up front
Infinity Kappa Series 5.25 Components in the rear
Infinity Kappa Perfect Series 12.1 Subwoofers X2
Infinity Reference 7541a Amp (drives the components)
*139w x 4 @2ohm Kappa Load
Infinity Reference 1211a Amp (drives the subwoofers)
*1300w x1 @2ohm Dual Subwoofer Load
KnuKonceptz Krystal Series RCA Interconnects
Stinger Matte Blue 1/0 Power Cable > 4g
Stinger Matte Gray 4g Ground
Stinger 12g/14g Speaker Wire

I custom built an MDF/Fiberglass, 2 sealed 1.0cf chambers, downfiring box. It's a custom fit under the rear seat, factory match vinyl skin. I then attached a piece of brown smoke 3/8" plexi spaced 7/8" off the front to which I have mounted the two amps. The back seat has become useless except for putting things on the seat since the amps take up all the legroom. Plus I removed the jack/bracket and remounted a carrier under the front seat to hold them.

I'd post a pic but I never got to taking them after the final install due to some life problems that came up at the time, and right now I have the inside gutted to run those new power cables mentioned above, plus maybe new carpet as well. I've included a pic or two of the sub enclosure before it was skinned to give you an idea.

As soon as it's all back together I post some pics ... which also means a new camera .
I was kicking around the upper door panel, curious if you sunk them or did a raised mount? Looking forward to seeing pics when you get them. Also kicked around the upper part of the quad door, but imagine that's not ideal at all. Painting the mesh is a great idea, probably end up doing that to help hide them.

I was extremely impressed at the difference in sound between the factory tweeter and the aftermarket. At regular volume, you'd have to hold your ear to the factory unit to hear anything, just touched the wires to the Kappa tweeter and was surprised how well you could hear it. Really happy with the speakers so far.

Last edited by hutch1973; 04-04-2009 at 09:56 PM.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:20 PM
el_oso
Professional

Originally Posted by hutch1973
I was kicking around the upper door panel, curious if you sunk them or did a raised mount? Looking forward to seeing pics when you get them. Also kicked around the upper part of the quad door, but imagine that's not ideal at all. Painting the mesh is a great idea, probably end up doing that to help hide them.

I was extremely impressed at the difference in sound between the factory tweeter and the aftermarket. At regular volume, you'd have to hold your ear to the factory unit to hear anything, just touched the wires to the Kappa tweeter and was surprised how well you could hear it. Really happy with the speakers so far.
I sunk mine. The design of the tweeter has changed since I did my system, but IN the door looks much cleaner as opposed to surface mounting.

I'm a bit confused about your quad door statement. I thought you got coax for the fill speakers, what are you thinking about "upper part of the quad door"?

DO change out all the stock speaker wires.

I also found that since most of the inside trim was removed it was a perfect time to recover my headliner (it was filthy).

Old 04-04-2009, 10:39 PM
hutch1973
Captain

Quad door was a brief thought, but figured it wasn't the right location...again, newbie and I was trying to think of a flush mount location that wouldn't be obtrusive. Sinking them in the door was my next thought, but I didn't get the front panels pulled off today to see what was behind the them for metal to work around.

Plan on putting the crossovers in the kick panels, but again, haven't pulled that apart yet. Curious where you put yours?

Last edited by hutch1973; 04-10-2009 at 05:50 PM.
Old 04-04-2009, 11:09 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion

Thanks for the heads up, figured it was something along those lines, but wasn't sure how necessary it was. It did seem to seal itself up good enough anyway. What do you think of the tweeter location? Not sure if I like it but not sure where else to put them. Hoping others on here have some good ideas.
Personally, I say mount them on the pillars like you have them, but make them flush instead of sticking out like they are. just my tho.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:30 PM
hutch1973
Captain

Originally Posted by Laramie1997
Personally, I say mount them on the pillars like you have them, but make them flush instead of sticking out like they are. just my tho.
That was/is my first choice, but can't do it. Not enough room behind the pillar trim piece to make it fit. Kicked around having it partially sunken in, but couldn't come up with a way to secure it if I did that. Still might try to figure out a way to partially sink it, and paint, to make it as clean as possible.

Starting to think if I paint the grills like el_oso did, maybe they don't stand out as bad if I end up going with any surface mount location.

Heres a side view of the surface mount set up. Colors match up much better to the naked eye, surprised at the color difference in the pic.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:57 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion

That was/is my first choice, but can't do it. Not enough room behind the pillar trim piece to make it fit. Kicked around having it partially sunken in, but couldn't come up with a way to secure it if I did that. Still might try to figure out a way to partially sink it, and paint, to make it as clean as possible.

Starting to think if I paint the grills like el_oso did, maybe they don't stand out as bad if I end up going with any surface mount location.

Heres a side view of the surface mount set up. Colors match up much better to the naked eye, surprised at the color difference in the pic.
Well, another option would be a dash mount then. That would look fairly clean and smooth. IDK if that would be something you would want to jack with or not. I have also seen some people mount them on their sub boxes too, but idk how well that works. You can drill a hole above your speakers on your door panels and mount them there??? I dunno man, I never really messed with tweeters; I have always just bought combo speakers and do it that way.

Quick Reply: My Stereo Install Thread.