2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

pcv valve

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 12:13 AM
engineblock
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pcv valve

How can a bad PCV valve cause smoking?

Also when the truck is on does the pcv valve have to have a ticking sound?

Also what causes white smoke when on gas (constant)?

Old 05-19-2009, 12:54 AM
speeddemon31176
All Star

White smoke is a likely symptom of a bad head gasket. Check to see if you are low on coolant. Is the "white" smoke in great abundance or just a little. If the former then probably a bad head gasket or head. the 360 is known for having head issues. As far as smoking due to a bad pcv valve I have never heard of it. Could possibly be blow by from bad rings but not sure based on your limited description of the issue. If you can provide more info on it I will try to help.

Old 05-19-2009, 01:03 AM
engineblock
Veteran

when i start the truck there is no smoke, as soon as i press the gas smoke starts coming out. It gets worse with more throttle, it is constant untill i come to a stop. I also checked my spark plugs several times and the number 7 Spark plug always get wet with oil. I am considering just buying another motor cause i cant figure it out. I just want to know if white smoke is colant or oil because my SP is wet.

Old 05-19-2009, 01:11 AM
speeddemon31176
All Star

I wouldn't buy a motor just yet. If only the no. 7 plug is getting wet and you are sure it is oil on it then I would say that you have a bad valve seal. They are pretty cheap and easy to replace. If you have some mechanical aptitude or know someone who does you could do them in about two hours total time.

Old 05-19-2009, 01:17 AM
engineblock
Veteran

i am planning on doing the valve seals but i dont want to risk the valve going down, i know about the compressor and the nylon string, which would you perfer?

Old 05-19-2009, 01:24 AM
speeddemon31176
All Star

a piece of rope in the cylinder works the best for doing valve seals. You don't have to worry about the valve not having a perfect seal and dropping the valve. take out the plug, insert the rope, bring the piston up in the cylinder and change the seals. I just got a new spring compressor from an old buck at the local flea market for 5 bucks. It's the KD tools one that goes for 60 or so. He didn't know what it was.lol. Just remember to take your time and do not compress the rope to tightly so as not to damage the piston or rings. If you need any other help with it just let me know and I will try to help.

Old 05-19-2009, 01:27 AM
engineblock
Veteran

how much rope do i put in, and how do i know that the rope is under the valve?

Old 05-19-2009, 01:35 AM
speeddemon31176
All Star

Ok. a one foot length of rope should be plenty. Make sure you leave some hanging out so you can remove it when done. and you will turn the engine in the opposite direction enough to take rope out when finished on that cylinder. The rope will definitely be under the valve when you bring the piston up. DO NOT use the key to turn the engine over. Use a breaker bar and socket on the crank bolt.Bring it up till you feel a slight pressure on the breaker bar and you are ready to pull the locks, retainers and springs. Remember to go one valve at a time as not to mismatch parts.

Old 05-19-2009, 01:40 AM
engineblock
Veteran

alright thank you very much, ill let you know how it goes.

Old 05-24-2009, 10:00 PM
engineblock
Veteran

i was thinking can you rotate the engine backward so i could get te rope out

Quick Reply: pcv valve