2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front Axle Vacuum Motor HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 04:31 PM
el_oso
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Front Axle Vacuum Motor HELP!

My truck has been sitting for a few weeks while I tinker with my sound system re-install. I had to use the thing even though I'm not finished so I bolted in a seat and ran my errand. The 4WD has been engaged since it was parked ( I have to drive up my steep yard to get to my "work area" ) and was left there as I started out and got back onto my drive at which point I disengaged. My errand took me approximately 1/2 mile. I shut off the engine, dropped off my stuff (about 5 minutes) and returned to my truck when I noticed something dripping behind my right front tire. My original thought was brake line which would have pissed me off since I just re-did all the front brakes and lines not long ago. So's I got under the truck but found no leaks in the brake lines. About that time I heard a gurgling noise and then there was more fluid coming down from the engine compartment. I opened the hood and found that it was axle fluid and it was coming up and out the breather tube that comes from the axle vacuum motor housing and mounts up behind the front right fender and seems to have a little valvey thing on the end of it. I was actually at the parts shop my buddy owns and he was shocked, never seen that before. So he called a mechanic he knew and he was stumped as well. They said take it to the dealer, I said I'd check her first.

Probably in all there has been about a tablespoon +/- that has come out and it seems to have stopped just as quickly as it started.

So my question is "WTF"?

EDIT: If it makes a difference or helps diagnose, when the truck was parked it wasn't level but leaning to the right at about 20 degrees
or so.

Last edited by el_oso; 05-19-2009 at 04:47 PM.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:47 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

that hose is just a vent tube, and oil's not supposed to come out. but, i've heard of this before. its probably just a fluke, somehow related to moisture, or spider webs, or overfilling, or something crazy. if it didn't used to do it, then i wouldn't worry about it unless it keeps doing it after you start driving it again.

Quick Reply: Front Axle Vacuum Motor HELP!