2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ideas for Gauge and Sensor Placement

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 04:58 PM
Illcochy58
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ideas for Gauge and Sensor Placement

Well, Let begin by saying that I rather new to the dodge name. But I've enjoyed every minute with my new truck. But anyways.

I just got a new set of gauges for my truck which is a 2nd generation, 2001 4x4. A temp gauge and a pressure gauge that I would like to attach to my transmission, 3 Speed auto with overdrive.

I was just wondering where would be the best place to attache these and what do you guys think of the PODS that mount to the pillar next to the front windshield. I was thinking of getting a three pod set so just incase I want to add a gauge.

Any suggestions?

Old 05-19-2009, 05:50 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Let me get this straight....You want to put a PSI gauge on your transmission? Why?
BTW you have the 4-Speed 46RE transmission.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:37 PM
Acapalic
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the pods on the pillar , i love them.

Top is transmission temp , bottom is Engine Temp. They scroll Lo when low , Flash Lo when to low (feature turned off for temp), Scroll Hi when approaching hot point (set at 200), and flashes HI when reaches 220 for engine 190 for trans. As for the ports, I took out the Regular gauge sensor , but you can just splice into the wire and ull get both gauges to work , unless you get a mechanical gauge. For Transmission PSI, remove your check valve, and make a T port with the pressure sensor. Thats how i would hook that up. My transmission temp sensor is in the custum oil pan i have on it.

Last edited by Acapalic; 05-19-2009 at 07:42 PM.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:53 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PurplDodge
Let me get this straight....You want to put a PSI gauge on your transmission? Why?
BTW you have the 4-Speed 46RE transmission.
46RE is a 3spd automatic trans with overdrive.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:01 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah but we call it a 4-speed....

Old 05-19-2009, 09:02 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, guess i'll correct myself, though I still consider it a 3spd with an overdrive because I don't consider overdrive as a true gear range.

Here's what the service manual says:

"DESCRIPTION
The 46RE (Fig. 1) is a four speed fully automatic
transmissions with an electronic governor. The 46RE
is equipped with a lock-up clutch in the torque converter.
First through third gear ranges are provided
by the clutches, bands, overrunning clutch, and planetary
gear sets in the transmission. Fourth gear
range is provided by the overdrive unit that contains
an overdrive clutch, direct clutch, planetary gear set,
and overrunning clutch."

Old 05-19-2009, 09:36 PM
Acapalic
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im with silver on this one , I dont consider Overdrive as a gear, The manufact will consider it a gear just so they can say , Hey we have a 8 Gear transmisson, but who knows , 3spd with overdrive , or 4spd , same thing kinda. I perfer the first.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:02 AM
Illcochy58
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Silver_Dodge
46RE is a 3spd automatic trans with overdrive.
I'll have to agree. I've had several vehicles with overdrive and I never called that a gear. But anyways. I want to put the temp gauge on my transmission because I put one on every vehicle I get and with my last truck I found a problem with the transmission threw the temp. And the PSI is just for Curiosity sake. I have a little to much of that. Curiosity I mean.

Also the temp gauge I have is a Mechanical Model and I need to find a place to screw it into. Same with my PSI gauge. Maybe for both I'll just do a slight modification to my pan by adding two holes for these to go into.

I'll probally install them a little high so that I don't get them rubbed off on a rock or ripped off in a mud hole. Shrug. If any one has any Idea where I can put these so that neither of these things happen it would be much appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Quick Reply: Ideas for Gauge and Sensor Placement