2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

couple minor problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009 | 03:33 PM
willstruck
|
Professional
Default couple minor problems

I bought my truck, and the horn didn't work. I replaced the burnt fuse, and it started to honk when i pushed the button, then blew the fuse. So, basically the horn keeps blowing fuses. Any idea what to do?

Also, my cruise control doesn't seem to work. The light turns on when I push the button, but I can't get it to actually kick on.

Old 05-21-2009 | 05:42 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

As far as the horn goes, pull the plastic cover off the steering column and check the wires, if you have a tilt wheel the wires in there get f'd up. Get a haynes manual and trace the wiring.

As far as the CC goes, do a search on here. It is a common problem. But you might check under the battery tray and see if the unit has a hole or the vacuum line is bad.

Old 05-21-2009 | 06:13 PM
willstruck
|
Professional

Originally Posted by zman17
As far as the horn goes, pull the plastic cover off the steering column and check the wires, if you have a tilt wheel the wires in there get f'd up. Get a haynes manual and trace the wiring.

As far as the CC goes, do a search on here. It is a common problem. But you might check under the battery tray and see if the unit has a hole or the vacuum line is bad.
Just what I was looking for, a common spot for the wires to get f'd. I've already got the CC out of the wheel, cleaned everything up. I'll check under the tray. I've got a Diesel, 2 batteries, which tray is it? Already have the Haynes. First thing I bought for the truck.

Old 05-21-2009 | 06:53 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

If it's like our gasser's it's under the driver side tray. But check all the vacuum lines, even if you don't think they are associated with the cc.

Old 05-21-2009 | 07:32 PM
willstruck
|
Professional

Originally Posted by zman17
If it's like our gasser's it's under the driver side tray. But check all the vacuum lines, even if you don't think they are associated with the cc.
Alright. I pulled off the column cover, wires all looked fine. I put the cruise controller back on, now that it's all cleaned up. I'll try it out next time I go somewhere. Oh, I did notice with the cruise control that the harness has 4 connections, and 4 wires going to it, but the control module only has 3 pins... The extra pin could be for an auto tranny or somethin...

Quick Reply: couple minor problems