2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

what is this noise (video)

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 02:01 AM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

U got u joint that u can grease and may I ask wtf is wrong with u for not greasing them every couple thousand mile? Whats size fitting is that?

Old 05-24-2009, 02:58 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i said that i don't have the greasable kind. if i did, i think i'd only do them every 10-12k miles or so because i doesn't take much grease at all. when i did mine i got spicer u-joints.

Old 05-24-2009, 03:08 AM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Shame on u for not getting ones that u can grease!!! Does anyone on here know that fitting that is needed to grease them???

Old 05-24-2009, 04:17 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Old 05-24-2009, 05:26 AM
rczanstke
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced mine 2 weeks ago. I needed to purchase a needle-like attachment for my grease gun. The needle inserted into the fitting like a ball-pump needle into a ball.

Old 05-24-2009, 10:10 AM
busaguy05
Professional

Originally Posted by dodge15004x45.9
Shame on u for not getting ones that u can grease!!! Does anyone on here know that fitting that is needed to grease them???
Are you talking about the zerk fitting?

Old 05-24-2009, 10:48 AM
hutch1973
Captain

Originally Posted by Sheriff420
so what ya'll are saying is that the u-joint will make a knocking sound like that? i was thinking that was the problem anyway because i stuck a prybar on it for a stethescope and could't isolate the sound and with the tire spinning i couldn't put it on the u-joint.

i'm gonna get a definate answer to if its that tomorrow after a drive because when a u-joint is out of grease it gets hot. i get under my truck every now and then and feel the u-joints on the rear drive shaft because they don't have grease fittings and i don't want to have another one seize up on me. the last time i did them on the drive shaft i broke a c-clamp and a vise before i broke out the arbor press, then when i broke it loose all that was left in the cracked caps was dust and a couple pieces of needle bearings.
If it's the U joint, I would think you would be able to just grab the joint/knuckle when it's cold and see if you can wiggle it at all. It shouldn't budge. I could grab mine and rattle it around and see the joint moving within the bearing caps.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:34 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion

changed out the u joint yesterday, turns out that it was no good. the chain dragging on a gear noise in the vid is my wheel bearing sounding like its lacking some grease but its still tight and moves smoothly so i'm just waiting for it to get loose now. the only time you can hear the bearing is when you jack the truck up and spin it though.

this one was almost as bad as my rear u joints were, just didn't have cracked caps.

I don't see why so many people have trouble with that hub nut, you see what i used. i pulled the center cap off the day before and gave it a shot of the knock'er loose, left for a while, and gave it another shot when i got home. then the next morning i popped the wheel off and gave it another shot then put the breaker bar on it. the breaker bar alone didn't budge it but i only tried once and didn't give it a whole lot before i decided to get a cheater bar. put the cheater bar on there and had maybe half of my upper body weight on it before it broke loose. and the 3 bolts on the back of the hub were just as easy.
also, you see that little prybar stuck in the rotor vents? it goes down to a skinny point on the end in the rotor and has that sharp curve on the other end? if you don't have one you ought to get one, that thing comes in handy.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:30 AM
omanalansan
Rookie

What ujoints did you end up getting? Reason why i ask is i'll being doing the exact same surgery this weekend. May start it tonight, since weather looks great all week.

Old 06-22-2009, 04:48 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Sheriff420
changed out the u joint yesterday, turns out that it was no good. the chain dragging on a gear noise in the vid is my wheel bearing sounding like its lacking some grease but its still tight and moves smoothly so i'm just waiting for it to get loose now. the only time you can hear the bearing is when you jack the truck up and spin it though.

this one was almost as bad as my rear u joints were, just didn't have cracked caps.

I don't see why so many people have trouble with that hub nut, you see what i used. i pulled the center cap off the day before and gave it a shot of the knock'er loose, left for a while, and gave it another shot when i got home. then the next morning i popped the wheel off and gave it another shot then put the breaker bar on it. the breaker bar alone didn't budge it but i only tried once and didn't give it a whole lot before i decided to get a cheater bar. put the cheater bar on there and had maybe half of my upper body weight on it before it broke loose. and the 3 bolts on the back of the hub were just as easy.
also, you see that little prybar stuck in the rotor vents? it goes down to a skinny point on the end in the rotor and has that sharp curve on the other end? if you don't have one you ought to get one, that thing comes in handy.

If you used Cyclo, you would not have had to use a pipe on the breaker bar, lol

Quick Reply: what is this noise (video)