2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fastman Question.

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 10:05 AM
hutch1973
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels
Dual 2.5's out the muffler or "fake duals" won't help a bit to open it up. The most restrictive parts in a stock exhaust are the Cat, muffler, and Y-pipe.

The stock muffler is a water heater, it's huge and stuffy. Specifically because our engines are some of the loudest on the market. Way louder than a Ford, Chevy, or Yota. They needed to make them sell-able to the average Joe who doesn't want to hear the engine all the time.

The Stock cat was built to last several years and the honeycomb inside of it is very tightly packed.

The Y-pipe is pinched tightly at the bends and really hampers some flow out of the manifolds. I'm looking to replace this soon, but a quality aftermarket one is hard to find.

It's also worth mentioning that the last few years of 2nd gens that the exhaust was expanded from 2.5" to 3" piping and the HP rating of the trucks was bumped up about 15HP.

It's something to think about.
I guess I don't understand why the fake duals is significantly worse the single 3". I went to the Magnaflow site and compared both their catback systems and the performance bump was identical. Noticed the difference immediately after I put the system on and got rid of the tank of a factory muffler.

I'm not saying fake duals is better, I just think it's not significantly different then the single 3" run. New cat is now next on my list of mods.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:05 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Nothing wrong with fake duals at all! I like the look of a dual setup myself.

It's just that the post muffler pipe isn't the smallest bottleneck. opening up after a restriction won't net you any gains at all.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:10 PM
hutch1973
Captain

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels
Nothing wrong with fake duals at all! I like the look of a dual setup myself.

It's just that the post muffler pipe isn't the smallest bottleneck. opening up after a restriction won't net you any gains at all.
Sorry AIM, totally missed your original point then, see what you are saying now. Going to put the high flow cat on and then wait and see if I want to do more from there. Might quit the motor mods after the cat and maybe the 1.7's.

Old 05-25-2009, 05:55 PM
lv360ram
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hutch1973
.... Going to put the high flow cat on and then wait and see if I want to do more from there. Might quit the motor mods after the cat and maybe the 1.7's.
So, you spent hundreds on a larger TB and didn't notice any gains. (so did I)
So, now you need to spend more money and time to get a "better" cat. Then MAYBE your buttdyno will feel something. You are following in my footsteps.
Unless, you are going to regularly twist your engine to 4000-5000 rpms - you are going to be even MORE disappointed with the 1.7RR.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:23 PM
hutch1973
Captain

Originally Posted by lv360ram
So, you spent hundreds on a larger TB and didn't notice any gains. (so did I)
So, now you need to spend more money and time to get a "better" cat. Then MAYBE your buttdyno will feel something. You are following in my footsteps.
Unless, you are going to regularly twist your engine to 4000-5000 rpms - you are going to be even MORE disappointed with the 1.7RR.
lol...I know, and that thought has crossed my mind.

I do realize bolt ons will do nothing for how I want the truck to perform in the end, and figure a gear ratio change from the 3.5 is necessary more then anything. Will put that off until next year because between trans/stereo/shocks/tonneau/3815/52mm and the body work the truck is getting in a couple weeks, already have close to 4k into the truck this year.

I'll do the high flow cat for under $100, can weld it in myself. Since the factory cat has a reputation as a part destined to fail, I'd rather be proactive and do it before I get stuck.

Already in the process of talking myself out of the 1.7's, not sold on them as a mod at all. A mild bump in performance that basically mirrors the factory powerband (which in my opinion, is all the 1.7's will do) will do nothing for how I want the truck to perform.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:28 PM
lv360ram
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hutch1973
lol...I know, and that thought has crossed my mind.

I do realize bolt ons will do nothing for how I want the truck to perform in the end, and figure a gear ratio change from the 3.5 is necessary more then anything. .......

Already in the process of talking myself out of the 1.7's, not sold on them as a mod at all. A mild bump in performance that basically mirrors the factory powerband (which in my opinion, is all the 1.7's will do) will do nothing for how I want the truck to perform.
Amen, bro.

I wish I would have done the rear end gears instead of the 1.7RR.

Quick Reply: Fastman Question.