2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fastman Question.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 06:37 PM
hutch1973
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fastman Question.

Have a question regarding the Fastman and I can't seem to find it via searches.

Got a 52mm from Dan this week, and can't be happier with the quick service. Emailed him around Wed saying I wanted one, he had it to me by Friday without any additional shipping charges. Put it on and it was simple enough, probably about a 45 minute job at the most, but not noticing anything different.

Just did the Superchips upgrade last weekend, which I definately noticed a change, but wondering if I need to do be doing something differently then his instructions regarding the pcm. I did unhook the battery and reset the pcm, drove it 40 miles or so to try to get it to relearn settings, but still can't seem to find a difference. Would actually say the truck has lost a bit from when I started.

Only read good reviews on the Fastman, so thinking I just don't have something quite right yet. Tips?

Old 05-23-2009, 07:11 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

All there is to it is putting it on. And all you should notice is slightly better throttle response.

Old 05-23-2009, 07:20 PM
hutch1973
Captain

Think I need to do a test moreso then checking for oil with my plenum then. Post programmer, I could just break the rear tires loose by flooring it, not burn out contest, but just 'bump' them...now it won't even do that. If I was getting slightly better acceleration, thinking that would be at least the same? Am I missing something?

Old 05-23-2009, 08:09 PM
mikey0469
Veteran

if you reset the pcm after you programmed it with the superchips flash programmer, wouldnt that clear the pragram?

Old 05-23-2009, 08:14 PM
hutch1973
Captain

I don't think so, as Superchips is writing a new defalt program into the pcm. After I reset it, I did doublecheck to make sure I was reading the proper program.

Old 05-23-2009, 08:26 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Sometimes a PCM reset make the truck really responsive and sometimes it makes it a dog. After a tank of gas it's almost always the same regardless of where it started on ht reset.

IDK why it does this, but it does. You could reset the PCM and drive it and it feel like a dog, and then reset it and it run like a bat outta hell.

I also noticed that you haven't really opened up the exhaust fully yet. Swap that factory cat with a Magnaflow or other high flow cat and make sure the pipe is a solid 3" from front to back and you should notice a nice bump in power.

Old 05-24-2009, 11:55 AM
hutch1973
Captain

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels
Sometimes a PCM reset make the truck really responsive and sometimes it makes it a dog. After a tank of gas it's almost always the same regardless of where it started on ht reset.

IDK why it does this, but it does. You could reset the PCM and drive it and it feel like a dog, and then reset it and it run like a bat outta hell.

I also noticed that you haven't really opened up the exhaust fully yet. Swap that factory cat with a Magnaflow or other high flow cat and make sure the pipe is a solid 3" from front to back and you should notice a nice bump in power.
It did seem a bit better today, and I'm sure you're right and I probably need the high flow cat. Guessing I won't see anymore out of what I've done up top without paying more attention to the exhaust. Going to try it with the cat back Magnaflow system I have on for now though since it's fairly new. Dual 2.5's out of the muffler shouldn't be too restrictive.

Last edited by hutch1973; 05-24-2009 at 03:35 PM.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:39 PM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have heard where some people have to drive the crap out of the truck before noticing a mods difference

Old 05-24-2009, 10:24 PM
hutch1973
Captain

Something that hurts me is I don't drive the truck that much, so I don't notice subtle differences. Think AIM is right and my factory cat is probably limiting my exhaust system. I've done the mods up top with the 14x3 and now the fastman, so going to do that next and see how it works. Had been kicking around 1.7's for the next mod, so a cat is cheaper.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:20 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Dual 2.5's out the muffler or "fake duals" won't help a bit to open it up. The most restrictive parts in a stock exhaust are the Cat, muffler, and Y-pipe.

The stock muffler is a water heater, it's huge and stuffy. Specifically because our engines are some of the loudest on the market. Way louder than a Ford, Chevy, or Yota. They needed to make them sell-able to the average Joe who doesn't want to hear the engine all the time.

The Stock cat was built to last several years and the honeycomb inside of it is very tightly packed.

The Y-pipe is pinched tightly at the bends and really hampers some flow out of the manifolds. I'm looking to replace this soon, but a quality aftermarket one is hard to find.

It's also worth mentioning that the last few years of 2nd gens that the exhaust was expanded from 2.5" to 3" piping and the HP rating of the trucks was bumped up about 15HP.

It's something to think about.

Quick Reply: Fastman Question.