2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

braking gremlins

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 04:45 PM
justincredible5
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default braking gremlins

hey guys i have a 99 dodge ram 1500 i just put in a new master cylinder and new pads all around new wheel cylinders in the rear and bled the crap out of it but now it seems all my braking power is going to the back brakes it will lock up the rear end and nothing in the front and the brakes still go almost all the way to the floor is there a way to possibly recenter the proportioning valve or test the booster? this truck has been nothing but brake gremlins... thanks for any input!

Old 05-30-2009, 05:04 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Have you checked to see if the calipers are sliding freely?

Old 05-30-2009, 05:15 PM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

All dodge proportioning valves are self centering after the brakes are properly bleed. If you are pressure bleeding the valve stem on the proportioning valve must be held out with a special tool. If you are pedal bleeding this is not necessary. The master cylinder must be bled first, then the passenger rear wheel, then the drivers rear, then the pass front , then the drivers front. This order must be followed for proper bleeding. After opening everything like you have it may take a lot of bleeding to get all of the air out. What ever you do don't let the master cylinder go dry during bleeding.

Old 05-31-2009, 01:18 AM
justincredible5

i bled it all properly round and round 3 times but still not right im almost at my whits end with this trucks brakes

Old 05-31-2009, 11:06 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Punctuation, please!

Old 05-31-2009, 10:34 PM
justincredible5

please anyone i need some help this thing will be the death of me hahaha

Old 05-31-2009, 11:56 PM
DodgeRam96

I think the master cylinder you just installed is bad. If the one you took off is still good throw it back on. I just got done installing am SSBC kit and I was having a similar problem, except it was the rear brakes. The master cylinder, although new, was bad. I had the same problem with an agr power steering pump - I bled the **** out of it - and brand new out of the box it was bad. You did't change anything up front that would cause no pressure, and if you told me it were pulling to one side I might think it was a seized caliper.

Quick Reply: braking gremlins