2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Paint Match Grill

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 12:55 AM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks very nice.......autozone or oreilleys should have exact match paint for our trucks

Old 06-02-2009, 03:34 AM
Rebhays27
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PurplDodge
I'm definatly going for a chrome grille (no offense, just not my style; A black truck is what I wanted to see it on).
NP some people just like the chrome look I don't Here in Texas they have a Lone Star Edition
WAY too much Chrome for my taste I'm not sure what else makes it "Lone Star" except the Texas thing. Hey also PURPL I noticed your front bumper looks like it is painted Black (or darker) Did you paint it? or is it an addition? Looks good

Old 06-02-2009, 11:39 AM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah, I just took the bottom (grey) piece off and painted it T100 black. I need to get a new one and re-paint it because it is chipping.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:51 AM
dakotas ram
Champion

they make duplicolor trim paint that sticks great to plastics without any adhesion promoter.....

Old 06-02-2009, 11:57 AM
PurplDodge
Legend

Duplicolor makes ****ing everything!!!
I have 3 cans of Rust-Oluem Plastic Primer in the garage, so I'll use that.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:09 PM
Rebhays27
Professional

Yeah, I just took the bottom (grey) piece off and painted it T100 black. I need to get a new one and re-paint it because it is chipping.
As is the norm on this Forum it seems we have helped each other. I was wondering what the front bumper would look like if I painted all but the chrome strip. I like the look Think I'll try it this week end. Did you have to remove the entire bumper or did teh strip come off without it? I'm glad my photo's helped you decide chrome or paint. I'm going to use the duplicolor as with the grill let me know if the Rust-Oluem works if the duplicolor doesn't I'll try it.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:50 PM
dakotas ram
Champion

have any of yall heard of this metalcast?......its basically a colored clearcoat, you just clean the chrome and scuff it, then adhesion promoter, then spray it on and it looks anodized......they did a chrome valve cover on TruckU and it looked pretty good
http://www.duplicolor.com/products/metalcast.html

Old 06-02-2009, 09:09 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^That's a very good idea, but.... It might not work too well on a surface that flexes. On a true metal/Chrome grill, it might work, but most people have a plastic grill with a metal foil over the top.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:49 PM
PurplDodge
Legend

Originally Posted by Rebhays27
As is the norm on this Forum it seems we have helped each other. I was wondering what the front bumper would look like if I painted all but the chrome strip. I like the look Think I'll try it this week end. Did you have to remove the entire bumper or did teh strip come off without it? I'm glad my photo's helped you decide chrome or paint. I'm going to use the duplicolor as with the grill let me know if the Rust-Oluem works if the duplicolor doesn't I'll try it.
All you have to do is remove the top strip, then the bottom part. Try not to break any of the clips.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:57 PM
Rebhays27
Professional

All you have to do is remove the top strip, then the bottom part. Try not to break any of the clips.
Sounds like a plan I'll try it and see if I can figure it out

Quick Reply: Paint Match Grill