2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

94-97 Buzzer to 98-02 chimer conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 09:46 PM
RamSport97
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94-97 Buzzer to 98-02 chimer conversion

As many of the 94-97 ram owners, I grew sick of hearing the buzzer when the door was open so I unhooked the plug by the ignition switch behind the column covers. But it still buzz's when I start up the truck and such. I would like to have some sort of warning in case I leave the lights on etc. I did a little searching around on the forum and found that the little buzzer module is located behind the fuse panel. So I was wondering if it is possible, or if anyone has updated the buzzer to a chimer found in the later year rams?

Old 06-02-2009, 09:47 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The 98-02 buzzer is just as annoying. Just take the speaker unit out of the module.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:49 PM
RamSport97
Record Breaker

I just may, I just figure itd be nice to have some sort of warning. The chimer in my fathers F-150 doesn't even phase me after the dodge.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:52 PM
PurplDodge
Legend

The only thing it is good for is if you leave the keys in, but who the **** would care about that? My headlights are only on at night, so what is it for?

Old 06-02-2009, 09:53 PM
lv360ram
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it's supposed to be irritating so you don't ignore it.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:56 PM
95MaroonMonster
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by PurplDodge
The only thing it is good for is if you leave the keys in, but who the **** would care about that? My headlights are only on at night, so what is it for?
i've locked my keys in the truck before, once while is was off twice while it was running, those 2 times i was wearing work gloves that have longer cuffs on them and bumped the switch

and i left my lights on for 2 days, b/c i forgot to turn them off, it was overcast, and getting kinda ugly so i had them on oops

Old 06-02-2009, 10:05 PM
PurplDodge
Legend

Guess it doesnt work that well!

Old 06-02-2009, 10:13 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Between working around on the farm, and traveling and working out of my truck on other farms, I like to leave my doors open with the stereo a thumpin while I work. I got sick of that buzzer the very first day I was trying to enjoy my system. I had tried taping the button in the door jam closed, but that didn't stay, I tried to find the fuse for the damn thing, and couldn't find that. Finally, in desperation, I stabbed the damn buzzer with a screwdriver, and haven't had a problem with that sound since. It takes some habit forming time to get used to turning all lights off when you get out of your truck, but it can be done.
I will admit that for the first few months of not having a buzzer to tell me that the keys were in the ignition, I was very prone to locking my keys in the truck. But, because of that, I can pop a lock in a second gen ram in about 5 seconds I finally got smart enough to have an extra door key cut and keep it in my wallet. Works like a charm..... Until I leave the wallet in the cab..... But this has all left me with skillz, all I need is a stick, coat hanger or any other object about 3 feet in length, and I can get in.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:20 PM
PurplDodge
Legend

Hey, an easy way to break into your truck if you have the sliding rear window. Just take a flat screwdriver between the glass and jam it so the "Lock" pops and you can get in. Do this in a crowded McDonalds parking lot, Next to a Cummins Ram with the windows down and the keys in the ignition.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:29 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PurplDodge
Hey, an easy way to break into your truck if you have the sliding rear window. Just take a flat screwdriver between the glass and jam it so the "Lock" pops and you can get in. Do this in a crowded McDonalds parking lot, Next to a Cummins Ram with the windows down and the keys in the ignition.
I seem more prone to doing this late at night when I either get out of class or am coming out of the bar, and I have had the cops called on me while I was popping the lock. From what I see, there is three main ways to pop the lock on these trucks.
1. Crawl through the sliding rear window (If you have one)
2. Use a coat hanger and bend it into a "check mark" and go in under the window seal. Since Ma MOPAR decided to deter a car thief, they built a little box around the actual lock lever. The check mark hanger will allow you to go in under neath the box and manually lift the lock up. (This takes some time to get good at it.)
3. (My favorite, works on almost any vehicle equipped with power locks) Take a wedge or something similar and pry the top of your door open just enough to get a stick or something similar in. Use the object to press the door locks. Its simple, but you need to be careful, or you will tear the weather stripping up.
And hind sight is 20/20, every procedure is a pain with tinted windows, more so at night.

And it is entertaining trying to convince a cop to let you finish unlocking the door so you can prove ownership

Oh, and I am watching Gone in 60 Seconds right now, so that may have had something to do with the rant.

Last edited by Laramie1997; 06-02-2009 at 11:07 PM.

Quick Reply: 94-97 Buzzer to 98-02 chimer conversion