2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Electric Fan Info Thread.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 12:13 AM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Hutch, I found something interesting the other night while reading through my owner's manual. There's an addendum in the back about tampering with certain parts/systems on the truck. I knew about most of it, but the last couple paragraphs about the fan shroud and clutch surprised me. They are included under the federal anti-tampering laws the truck was manufactured under. Not that I care, but interesting nonetheless. I scanned it for you. Here it is:
Name:  Dodge-addendum.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  143.6 KB

Also, I have the rad out of my Jeep Cherokee if you'd like it. Not as big as the V10's, but still pretty sizable and representative of a Chrysler rad. Pay shipping and it's yours.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:16 AM
hutch1973
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Makes sense though. If someone just popped one of the "4500 cfm" fans on assuming they'd work, fried the motor, not really Dodge's fault. I sent the manufacturers I'm testing a note that I'm doing this, curious on the replies I get.

Edit...The fan rep that's been pretty honest with me goes to a show in Nevada every year. Says the most common question they get is 'how much cfm'. When they tell them how much, he gets disgusted with them because he says he already has 6k or some ridiculous number. Honestly would be pretty easy for someone to screw something up without knowing any differently

Think I have a decent shot on the yard here, going to stop in and ask tomorrow, won't go until Sat though.

Last edited by hutch1973; 06-09-2009 at 12:23 AM.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:23 AM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I find it crazy that the EPA noise control laws affecting the air intake system and fan system. I can see laws affecting the exhaust, that is very understandable, but the AIR INTAKE?????????????? This is where our ****ing tax money is going to? Something auto enthusiests spend millions of dollars a year to get rid of this ****?

Old 06-09-2009, 12:25 AM
Miami_Son
Banned

Originally Posted by hutch1973
Makes sense though. If someone just popped one of the "4500 cfm" fans on assuming they'd work, fried the motor, not really Dodge's fault.
I think you misunderstand, this isn't about the warranty or product liability, it's about the federal anti-tampering laws designed to prevent removal/modification of the emissions systems. It is illegal to tamper with any of the parts/systems listed on that page. Why the shroud and fan clutch are included is beyond me, but there it is in B&W. Not sure how it affects noise control, though.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:26 AM
hutch1973
Captain

Originally Posted by PurplDodge
I find it crazy that the EPA noise control laws affecting the air intake system and fan system. I can see laws affecting the exhaust, that is very understandable, but the AIR INTAKE?????????????? This is where our ****ing tax money is going to? Something auto enthusiests spend millions of dollars a year to get rid of this ****?
My bad, totally missed that was part of the noise control system, thought it was manufacturer warranty. That is funny. WTF.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:28 AM
hutch1973
Captain

Originally Posted by Miami_Son
I think you misunderstand, this isn't about the warranty or product liability, it's about the federal anti-tampering laws designed to prevent removal/modification of the emissions systems. It is illegal to tamper with any of the parts/systems listed on that page. Why the shroud and fan clutch are included is beyond me, but there it is in B&W. Not sure how it affects noise control, though.
You're right, and no clue. Guess that makes it easy for you to give up on the electric fan thing then, since it's against federal law and all.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:30 AM
Miami_Son
Banned

Originally Posted by PurplDodge
The air intake affects evaporative emissions. As for sound, have you ever listened to your intake when the air cleaner is off?. Makes perfect sense to include it. I don't see how the fan clutch or shroud have anything to do with either emissions or sound.

Last edited by Miami_Son; 06-09-2009 at 12:33 AM.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:30 AM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The EPA pisses me off so much!!!! But I dont want to go off topic, continue your faning. I dont care if a grennie doesnt like it, cause that is geting into my way of life. I recycle and have a Catalytic converter like everyone should, so get off my 14x3!!!

Old 06-09-2009, 12:31 AM
Miami_Son
Banned

Originally Posted by hutch1973
You're right, and no clue. Guess that makes it easy for you to give up on the electric fan thing then, since it's against federal law and all.
You missed the part about me not caring, I guess.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:35 AM
hutch1973
Captain

Originally Posted by Miami_Son
You missed the part about me not caring, I guess.
lol...looks like I missed basically everything about that post.

Maybe the 'sound' of all electric fans you'd need to cool a v10?

Quick Reply: Electric Fan Info Thread.