2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

help

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 09:44 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

with the iac, when you pull it out and turn the key on it is to check for a frozen pintle, while its not always the case it is what i check first since it takes all of 2 minutes to pull it off including getting the socket wrench.

the first thing you check in diagnosing is to turn on the ac and listen for the rpms to go up a little.
if they don't then you unplug it and start it to see if the idle remains the same, if it does then it needs further testing. when you plug it in it needs to idle for a little bit so the pcm can relearn it since you just unplugged it.
its not too common but the next thing you check is for voltage at the pigtail with the key on. if you have the correct voltage then you need to plug it back in and backprobe the harness and check for the proper voltage with it plugged in with the key on.
these tests will tell you if its bad but not if its slowly going bad, for that you need the dealers computer or one of the special scan tools that is just for reading sensors, which i haven't seen but i know they're out there somewhere and probably not worth the money unless you run a shop and will use it a lot.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:27 AM
Xmodracer0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do you think it may have anything to do with the fuel pump or just simply the fuses or am i way off?