2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Build Sheet link, one in DIY is DOA.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 10:31 PM
Rebhays27
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ram15002ndGen
If you are not the original owner, then someone definitely has modified that. I have taken down my spare a couple of times and have never had to use anything other than what came with the jack kit. The only thing I can think of is that somebody modified it to prevent spare wheel theft, or some kind of screwed up body work was done. Those are the only things that make sense.
Here is a photo of the chuck ever see anything like it?

Last edited by Rebhays27; 02-24-2013 at 02:42 PM.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:36 PM
speeddemon31176
All Star

That is a spare lock. someone bought a cheap spare tire lock kit and I sould bet it is rusted solid by now. the only way your gonna get that thing down now is to cut out your spare mount and replace it.

Old 06-17-2009, 03:15 AM
Rebhays27
Professional

I already have it off but it is what my spare tire winch uses to rase and lower my tire. I was going to try to find a key to fit it before I put it back on my winch. If it doesn't belong there I'm just going to make an alternative. It had a latch pin holding it on the shaft so I'm just going to frill a 1/2" drive socket so my jack extension can fit in it.

Old 06-17-2009, 03:54 PM
Ram15002ndGen
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Rebhays27
Here is a photo of the chuck ever see anything like it?
No way, that is not original. That looks like a wheel lock key. Mine just has a square slot that the bar with the jack slides into. The spare came with a lock bolted underneath to prevent theft. The lock on the spare uses a key like a Master lock would use. I have only seen something like that to unlock my rims. Damn people sell cars and don't give you all the stuff that goes with it. I just sold my wifes car and I gave the guy a complete run down, owners manuals, keys, alarm, wheel locks, etc. It's the descent thing to do.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:22 PM
Rebhays27
Professional

Originally Posted by Ram15002ndGen
No way, that is not original. That looks like a wheel lock key. Mine just has a square slot that the bar with the jack slides into. The spare came with a lock bolted underneath to prevent theft. The lock on the spare uses a key like a Master lock would use. I have only seen something like that to unlock my rims. Damn people sell cars and don't give you all the stuff that goes with it. I just sold my wifes car and I gave the guy a complete run down, owners manuals, keys, alarm, wheel locks, etc. It's the descent thing to do.
I agree I actually traded my wife's car in at a dealership in Plano and they actually forgot to get the title from me. When I discovered it I drove there 35 miles and they hadn't even found out them selves it was about three days. Hey thanks for your help.

Quick Reply: Build Sheet link, one in DIY is DOA.