2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

axle leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 07:57 PM
mikey0469
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default axle leak

so last weekend i finally got around to changing all four of my ball joints and i decided to go ahead and fix that darn axle seal leak coming from the drivers side. its been bothering me for a while.

it was the first time i changed ball joints myself.....i love doing it!!! NOT.
i pulled both axles and took apart the CAD housing so i could also pull the intermediate axle shaft out enough to pop the carrier out. easy enough. it just took some time to do all that. once i got the carrier out, i took a bar and popped the axle seal out. im not sure but if you can make it out, but here is the old seal compared with the new one side by side.

there was a noticable difference in the size and i coud see why it was leaking past.
Also, where the seal sat inside of the axle tube, there was a deposit of rust starting in. i suppose from water sitting on the outside edge of the seal. i cleaned it up with some emory cloth and popped the new seal in. easy as pie

now theres no leak!!!! woohooo!!

Old 06-12-2009, 08:01 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Not an easy job by all means, but congrats on "gittin er done"

Quick Reply: axle leak