2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

wow, im wooped

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 11:58 PM
wjxavier
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what?

Old 06-14-2009, 12:05 AM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wjxavier
i dont see the hurt in it. how could that possibly hurt anything? plus its a rubber gasket, i dont see a rubber gasket expanded and further sealing anything.

and just for your information, i did torque them correctly. i'm not some hillbilly mechanic that just does everything on a whim. i'm a helicopter mechanic by trade, and i know that i did the right torque in the right sequence. according to you its 150 in/lbs...by the haynes manual, its 13 ft/lbs. thats 6 in/lbs more than what you specified. that won't make a difference in the gasket sealing. and if you think 150 in/lbs is a hair over finger tight...you're nuts. i'd like to try and see you finger tight something to even 100 in/lbs.

i didnt really check to make sure that it wasnt, but i'm pretty sure its not bent. i'll check it tomorrow when i get back underneath it. for now, i'm beat.

i honestly think the rubber gasket seems like its too long. i dont even have to tighten to torque, and it comes out at that one corner. i think i'm gonna go try and find a cork gasket so it will expand. idk, any other helpful suggestions?

Ok helicopter mechanic....

First of all, I write responses usually without the knowledge if the person formulating the issue has an ASE degree, or barely knows which end of the wrench to use. I tend to air to the side of caution. So based on your OP, I really couldn't tell. Quite frankly at this point I couldn't care if you are a hillbilly or lead tech for the space shuttle. Get off your high horse.

In order for gasket sealer to work, it has to penetrate and adhere to the gasket surface. Its not going to do that to rubber. You simply blobbed all the sealer out around it when you torqued it down. And worse, you may have some silicone in your tranny. Hopefully no little bits will end up where they shoudn't.

While your response states that your chilton manual calls for 13ft lbs and it does in section 7-30. However, around page 1-41 in your Chilton manual (Chilton publishes Haynes FYI) which is in general information and maintenance. Under the pan installation subsection #s 11-12 it states how to put a few DABS of sealer (I use super glue) and install said pan.
Paragraph 12 states to tighten said pan bolts to 150 inch lbs. Since 13 ft lbs distorted your gasket, maybe a fresh prespective is in order.

Finally, I am sorry you don't appreciate my sense of humor with the hand tight comment.

I will submit that this sounds like the first time you have done a tranny pan gasket on a Dodge ( I appologise for the presumption). I have done Dodge tranny pans since about 1978. While it certainly doesn't make me a lead tech, much less a helicopter tech, I have NEVER used gasket sealer and have NEVER had a pan leak! That includes rubber/ cork rubber, and any brand on the box you can name.
So after reading this reply, kindly take whatever comment you were going to post and shove it.
And have blessed and wonderful day!

Last edited by dsertdog56; 06-14-2009 at 12:08 AM.
Old 06-14-2009, 03:49 AM
Jpnorris87
Professional

Hey dsertdog....give the guy a break. Im goin to bet that he's a chinook crew chief. And when **** crew chiefs see leaks on a bird, that just means that its got oil in it!

wjxavier, what did you do with the old gasket? Im pretty sure that you are trying to use that flimsy POS of a gasket that comes with every tranny filter.....re-use the old one if its the one from the factory. It wont leak (if your pan isnt screwed up) and you dont need any RTV or anything. BTW, 150inlbs is just past finger tight if you work on cars for a living! Just b/c vehicle mechanics don't do 13-2's on everything they do, doesnt make them any less smart than you are.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:25 AM
wjxavier
Record Breaker

sorry i blew up everyone. i wasn't having a very good day yesterday. yes, it was the first time i did a tranny pan gasket, and yes, i probably did screw things up. it just straight up was not a good day. jpnorris, i'm actually a ch-46 airframes mech. lol mini version to your 47's lol.
regardless, i'm sorry if i offended or took anything the wrong way from anyone.
yes the gasket i was using was the one from the box with the filter. i'm assuming from what you said that they are usually crappy, so i will go and get another one and attempt to use that. thanks for the help guys

Old 06-14-2009, 08:29 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Make sure the new gasket lines up with the pan exactly. IIRC there are 2 , the 518 and 727 gaskets are slightly different and you may have the wrong one. Just a thought.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:33 AM
wjxavier
Record Breaker

na...i made sure it lined up before i put it on. i thought it lined up perfectly, twice and both times it would crinkle up in that one corner and get pushed out. i think im just gonna get a new gasket, and not tighten them down as much...see where it gets me.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:54 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

It's odd no matter how crappy the gasket is. I suggest you don't use any rtv on it, as there is a good chance that is the cause. Just make sure both surfaces are cleaned with lacquer thinner or similar cleaner. If you do feel the need to use it, let set up for 15 - 20 minutes before you install the pan.

Old 06-14-2009, 12:19 PM
wjxavier
Record Breaker

well, as i figured, it was the gasket. it was this really cheap crap that came with the filter (almost felt like a rubberband). i went back to the store today and got a felpro one, and there was a world of difference just by taking it out of the box. works like a charm. never again will i use those crappy ones from the box. lol anyway, while i was under my truck resting my elbow, i was looking at my transfer case, and it has hairline cracks ALL OVER THE PLACE! i was like, woa...this things looks like its gonna fall apart on me. plus, there were pieces that were chipped off around a sealed part, nothing was leaking anywhere else than where it usually does, but still, it surprised me. is this a normal thing? someone told me that dodge parts have certain "allowable" crack limits. is this true? just curious

p.s. thanks for all the help guys. and to dsertdog56, i am sorry. i took what you said the wrong way and retaliated. i shouldn't have done that. it was a bad day...lol

Old 06-14-2009, 12:31 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

I honestly can't say that cracks are allowable, and you say it's leaking in the usual spots? Should not leak at all. And I don't know what brand filter you bought originally, but if the gasket sucks that bad the filter is a pos too.

Old 06-14-2009, 12:39 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

You should have referenced my fluid change I did just a few weeks ago. (thread around here somewhere, but here is the direct link for pictures).

http://s422.photobucket.com/albums/p...lter%20Change/

The whole thing was easier than expected in my experience. I paid extra for the rubber gasket and didn't use any sealers because it said specifically not to use any. No problems on this end with leaks. I couldn't find the tightening sequence or torque specs so my method was to tighen the bolts as you would a 5 lug wheel and kept going around until all of them were tighened hand tight first. Then I went around and re-tightened them up by grabbing the head of a 3/8 rachet and twisting with my wrist until I felt it was where it should be. Like I said, no leaks for me. You might want to try that if you do it again. Needless to say, glad you fixed it up.

Last edited by pcfixerpro; 06-14-2009 at 12:42 PM.

Quick Reply: wow, im wooped