2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Looking at a Ram - A KBB quote vs NADA quote

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 05:57 PM
bobboraze
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at a Ram - A KBB quote vs NADA quote

Been looking for a nice Sport for a little while now. Found a decent one on Craigslist from a private owner.

I started by quoting him the current KBB cost of his truck and made a starting offer at $700 under that, given the current market and gas prices. (granted its definitely worth more than the KBB val yet that's not the point)

He responded with a slightly dropped price and mentioned the NADA value, which is surprisingly around $3k more than the KBB value. I was a little taken back because I've never really used the NADA value when buying/selling cars.

I'm looking for some advice on the situation and to hear some of your thoughts.

Thanks!

Old 06-14-2009, 06:55 PM
Twisted Metal
Captain

Bottom line, CA$H Talks! BS Walks. NADA And Kelley are simply references used by mostly dealers. They have different rating systems are far as what is "excellent,good,fair" etc. I would try to arrange to give the truck a real good look, and possibly a test drive. Being you mentioned a private owner the test drive might not be possible. I'd make the person a fair offer, then if i was really interested in the truck, have the cash in hand to back it up.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:01 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You need to make sure that you are both checking off the same things!

Old 06-14-2009, 08:05 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

I agree with dodge15004x45.9. Usually KBB is the highest, and NADA (more widely accepted) is a little lower but more realistic. If you really want to be a dick to that guy, quote him from Edmunds.com

Edmunds takes regional factors into account and gives you the most accurate estimate IMO, and is almost always lower than NADA and KBB.

I'll never use KBB again. They claim the reason why they are higher is due to "we take dealership advertising and detailing into account" or something along those lines. Why should we have to pay for the dealership's advertising and detailing (or any other of the dealership's miscellaneous) costs?

Last edited by jasonw; 06-14-2009 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Grammar error.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:10 PM
bobboraze
Rookie

That's odd that everyone's saying KBB is typically higher. I've matched the specs and done both, NADA always ends up being higher.

I was simply going to tell him that NADA is typically for dealers/insurance, nowhere near the realistic private values.

brb checking edmunds

Old 06-14-2009, 08:12 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

KBB blows and no one I've ever seen uses it. NADA is the best point of reference.

Quick Reply: Looking at a Ram - A KBB quote vs NADA quote