2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

valve covers

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 12:14 PM
DODGEPWR
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bringing a thread back here. Dont want to make a new thread when i can just ask here. So after reading up on the valve cover bolts loosening i went outside and seen if any of mine were loose. YEP! Like stated above there were some that werent even touching the covers and some that were just loose. Now for the question. Whats the torque specs? Or are you guys just snugging them up without a torque wrench? Ive seen on some places (pavement sucks) That say you torque them down to 12 ft lbs. And another place that says 95 inch lbs. Wich is 7.9 foot pounds i think. Ive only got a torque wrench that goes from 10 ft lbs. to 150 ft lbs. What do i need to torque them to?

Hope i dont have to replace the gaskets! If there reusable i think im good there. Plus even though some cover bolts are loose, im not loosing any oil at all.

Did you ever get around to replacing the other valve cover gasket?

Old 07-16-2009, 01:14 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The best fix for the loosening valve cover bolts is to remove them, apply some blue Loctite to the threads, and reinstall. This will keep them from loosening without making them very difficult to remove. Do NOT use red Loctite on these bolts.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:18 PM
DODGEPWR
Veteran

Originally Posted by Miami_Son
The best fix for the loosening valve cover bolts is to remove them, apply some blue Loctite to the threads, and reinstall. This will keep them from loosening without making them very difficult to remove. Do NOT use red Loctite on these bolts.

Good idea, Ive got some blue locktite in my toolbox.

Got any idea's on the torque specs?

Old 07-16-2009, 03:03 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you can bring back one of my threads any day.

the torque is 95 inch pounds (7.91 foot pounds). since you only have a foot pound torque wrench, i suggest going to a parts store and getting a loan a tool inch pound torque wrench. you could just torque them, clean them up and see if they leak again. or you can pull the covers and clean the mating surfaces and the gasket and check for damage to the original then re-install.

the gaskets are made with a thin piece of metal with rubber on each side so they have a pretty good life span. my originals were flattened out and looked pretty bad so i went ahead and installed the new gaskets that i already had. and yes i got the other side on my next day off. one thing that will make it easier is to pull all the hoses and wires in the way and tie them back with some twine or 5/50 cord. overall it is a pretty easy task. just don't forget the ground straps on the passenger valve cover and label your spark plug wires before you pull them.

miami, will the loc tite work correctly with oil in the threads? if not then i bet you could block the rocker arms with a paper towel and shoot some brake cleaner in them to de-contaminate the threads.

Old 07-16-2009, 03:10 PM
Miami_Son
Banned

Originally Posted by DODGEPWR
Good idea, Ive got some blue locktite in my toolbox.

Got any idea's on the torque specs?
95 in. lbs. according to my factory manual.

Old 07-16-2009, 04:22 PM
SpcD1500
Veteran

Originally Posted by Sheriff420
i'm glad i have two vehicles and i can leave one sitting when i'm doing something to it and not have to get in a hurry. everyone ought to have a truck and a car, use the car for work (mpgs) and the truck for the days off.

I could not agree more!!

Old 07-16-2009, 06:17 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Mine were loose to when I installed the 1.7's. I check them more often, but agree with what MIAMI says, to at least check them at every oil change.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:28 PM
Miami_Son
Banned

Originally Posted by Sheriff420
miami, will the loc tite work correctly with oil in the threads? if not then i bet you could block the rocker arms with a paper towel and shoot some brake cleaner in them to de-contaminate the threads.
If you let the Loctite dry before reassembly, yes. If not, then you need to clean them out beforehand.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:08 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

gotcha. i was talking to my dad last night and he said that he has seen the red loctite break bolts before, so that stuff is for bolts that you never want to take out again.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:15 PM
Miami_Son
Banned

Red Loctite is used in places where regular disassembly is not required and where the loosening of a fastener could cause catastrophic damage or injury. Undoing parts assembled with it requires heating the part first.

Quick Reply: valve covers