2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transfer case leak?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 07:13 PM
thunderz
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Transfer case leak?

My case has a slow leak mostly coming from where the two pieces of the main case come together from what I can tell. Has anyone else had this? Any advice on sealants and procedure?

Old 06-18-2009, 08:37 PM
Keegan
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same problem that I'd like to reduce/eliminate depending on the size of task. Advice would be nice! Thanks!

Old 06-18-2009, 08:53 PM
wjxavier
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

are you positive that its your transfer case and not your transmissions rear seal? mine leaks and it looks like its coming from the transfer case but its not. lol if it was your transfer case, you would have to take your truck to a lift (easiest way) and spend a few hours taking it out. then you'd have to crack it open, put some new gaskets on and stuff...check to make sure everything inside is good and slap it all back together. i swapped out transfer cases in my truck when i first got it, and it took me and a friend that had never done it before about 5 hours lol

Old 06-19-2009, 06:58 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

have you tried re-torqueing the bolts? they may have just worked loose. torque them, clean it up and see if it still leaks. also make sure there are no cracks in the case.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:23 AM
Aubrey
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to find exactly where the leak is coming from. Mine looks like they over torqued the bolts that hold the two halves together. There are little spider cracks on the bottom. I just wiped it clean, dried it, smeared some silicone on it and it stopped the leak. That's been 140,000 miles now. I just have to redo it every time it is in the shop cause the shop guys see it and scrape it off.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:48 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion

tell him not to scrape it off. if you are paying him to fix one specific thing he should not touch anything else.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:46 AM
wjxavier
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yea, theres a few of us on here that have spider cracks on our transfer cases...me included

Old 06-19-2009, 11:51 AM
froesen
Professional

The mating surface between the trans and transfer case is not a sealing surface. There is a tranny rear main seal, and a transfer case input shaft seal. Both ride on the transfer case input shaft. The input shaft slides onto the splines on the trans output shaft and fills the void between the output shaft and the trans seal. Pull the TC and change 'em both. The TC seal housing unbolts from the front of the TC, the trans seal just slides in. IIRC, there's no stop lip on the trans for the seal, so don't drive it in too far....

Old 06-19-2009, 04:52 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by froesen
The mating surface between the trans and transfer case is not a sealing surface. There is a tranny rear main seal, and a transfer case input shaft seal. Both ride on the transfer case input shaft. The input shaft slides onto the splines on the trans output shaft and fills the void between the output shaft and the trans seal. Pull the TC and change 'em both. The TC seal housing unbolts from the front of the TC, the trans seal just slides in. IIRC, there's no stop lip on the trans for the seal, so don't drive it in too far....
i believe he's talking about the two halves of the transfer case housing leaking.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:40 AM
thunderz
Rookie

Yes I am talking about a leak from between the two major pieces of the case.

My tranny is not leaking and the transfer case is not leaking from where the drive shafts come out of it.

I did re torque the bigger bolts and they were kind of loose, but it still leaks.

I think the sealent came out of it when it was loose and so now it leaks because the sealant is gone.

Quick Reply: Transfer case leak?