2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Shaking, sqeeks, what's wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 01:01 AM
_JB_
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shaking, sqeeks, what's wrong?

Hey everyone. I have been driving a 94 1500, 360, 4x4, for three years now with 178,XXX miles. About 6 months ago, when you would come to a stop the truck would shake especially around 40-45MPH. I just figured warped roaters. If you come to a slow stop, you can feel the truck kinda “pulsate” to a stop.

But about two weeks ago I noticed shaking in the gas pedal, steering wheel (around turns 25-45MPH), and the shaking while driving straight will be from about 35-50MPH. After 50 it will calm down but you can hear a low rumble. It almost feels like the engine is missing, but if I downshift into a lower gear it still shakes.

Another thing, I hear a squeaking sound when I am coasting slowly (under 25MPH) that seems to be coming from the rear. It has to be something with the tires, because the tempo of the squeak depends on how fast you are going (also does it in reverse). I checked the tires and drums to see if anything is rubbing, but I came up with nothing. I'm not real familiar with brake setups, but is there anything that needs to be cleaned, lubed, ect? The drum brakes looks like they could be replaced, but I don’t think that is the problem. I believe the rear of the truck is where the shaking is coming from.

Any ideas?

Old 03-18-2005, 02:02 AM
whitey
Rookie
Default RE: Shaking, sqeeks, what's wrong?

it wouldn't hurt to check you u-joints. they've been known to cause vibration

Old 03-18-2005, 03:05 AM
_JB_

Any certian brand you would go with? I've heard to just go with what the most expensive/heavy duty ones.

Old 03-21-2005, 10:30 PM
_JB_

Only shakes when you give it gas. If you put it in neutral or just take your foot off the gas it will stop shaking.

Quick Reply: Shaking, sqeeks, what's wrong?