2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Quirky starting?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 10:16 PM
hammer_down
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SarcasticDwarf
I am not sure if this is something that has just crept up over the last year or two or if I only recently noticed it. I have a 98 1500. The battery is about two years old, the plugs and wires only six months.

When starting, it cranks over fine (fast and strong) but the engine seems to have trouble catching. By trouble I mean that it normally takes about five revs to catch, and every few weeks I end up releasing the key too early (something I never have a problem with in any other vehicle). The trick of this is that it does this regardless of whether it is -30 or +80 out, but if the truck has been running recently it will catch immediately.

I am thinking that rules out the starter and the battery, so what should I be looking at?

thats what mine was doing before it quit starting completely yesterday....i havent had a chance to work on it due to work yet, but im tearing into it tomorrow, im pretty damn sure its a fuel issue

Old 11-23-2009, 08:20 AM
BigGiy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, so I replaced the purge solenoid and no change. One thing that has changed is the weather... in the cold it doesn't stumble as much. I'm starting to think the throttle body was not cleaned properly. I think I'll do it again myself when I get a chance.

Quick Reply: Quirky starting?