2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1998 Ram Needs Suspension Overhaul, What Parts Do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 07:55 AM
peterfromme
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Ram Needs Suspension Overhaul, What Parts Do I need?

Hello all. I just got a 1998 Ram 1500 4x4. The suspension of the truck is original, so with 140k miles, it's shot. I want to replace the suspension to improve the ride. What specific parts do I need to do this?

I was thinking of 4 new shocks and a new steering stabilizer, but what specific bushings do I need to get too?

Also, if I do the shocks myself, do I need to get a spring compressor?

Thanks,
pf

Old 06-20-2009, 08:19 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You don't have to touch the springs. Remove the lower shock bolt and the three nuts holding the shock tower and remove it and the shock as one. Then remove the upper shock nut.

As far as everything else goes, get some one to turn the wheel left to right and check the tie rods and trac bar. Then raise it and grab the tire at 12 and 6 o'clock and look behind the wheel and see if the bj's and/or hub assemblies have any play.

Old 06-20-2009, 12:03 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i've heard good things about polyeurothane bushing kits, they stiffen up the ride and improve handling. the guy on a show called gearz on the speed channel said that if you were to do just one mod to your suspension that it should be the bushings. if you do get them you need to lube them because he said that if they're greaseless they'll squeak.

Old 06-20-2009, 02:09 PM
Trey318
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Energy Suspension makes the polyurethane bushings, which is what Ive got in my front end. Replace the shocks if they're leaky, tie rod ends, ball joints, and wheel bearings if there is any play in them. You should already have a steering stabilizer (sway bar), just replace the bushings with the ones in the Energy Suspension kit.

Oh and Energy Suspension makes rear end bushings as well for your leaf springs, but I didn't bother.

You might have difficulty taking the old bushings out if you dont have access to a press or aren't too confident. Local shops quoted me like $85 to remove the old ones and install the new ones, which is rather pricey. But taking the old ones out and putting new ones in can be kinda tricky.

Last edited by Trey318; 06-20-2009 at 02:13 PM.

Quick Reply: 1998 Ram Needs Suspension Overhaul, What Parts Do I need?