2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

engine quits -no codes

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 10:45 AM
kayakman
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine quits -no codes

Hi Dodge fans. I have a 1998 Quad Cab 360 with 207,000 km. or just under 130,000 miles. The truck just stops on me when I come to a stop, but not every time. New cap, rotor button and coil, made no difference, but the truck needed it anyway, plugs are okay. I have checked for codes by doing the on-off thing with the trip button and nothing.
If i stop and start the truck a few times just setting in the drive way, one out of four times it will sort of buck or knock (like a spark knock) then catch itself and run.

Just took it for a drive for a few miles and when i reached my driveway the engine quit, but started right away, put it in gear and quit again. Starts right back up with no fuss and drove up into the driveway.

The trucks sounds good, works good.... can you help out on this mystery. Own the truck since new.
PS - need advice going camping soon and i tow a small 5th wheel

cheers
Kayakman

Old 06-20-2009, 10:57 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Got a Haynes manual? If so , test the IAC , TPS, crank and cam position sensors. And if you have a fuel pressure gauge, hook it up and tape it to the wiper arm or windshield , drive it and see what the pressure is at the point when it dies.

Old 06-20-2009, 12:11 PM
dodge6

most probable cause is IAC idle air control on back of throttle body. Removing and cleaning may help. I had to replace mine, truck would occasionally die coming to a stop or slowing to turn. Just a place to start, since more than one thing can cause it but the IAC is a common part to fail or get stopped up

Old 06-20-2009, 12:34 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

yes, as dodge6 said, I forgot to mention you can try cleaning the IAC. DOH!

Old 06-20-2009, 12:58 PM
kayakman
Veteran

what do you clean it with. I have checked the IAC as per Haynes instructions. It did what it should do if you disconnect it while running, but it makes since what you guys are telling me.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: engine quits -no codes