2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

94 1500 running 230deg contantly

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 06:43 PM
chevyracer8262
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 1500 running 230deg contantly

What would cause a 318 in a 94 1500 to run about 230deg constantly? I have just finished rebuilding the transmission and got ready to reinstall it and found out that one of the freeze plugs were leaking so when I removed both of them I found that the driver side of the block had a fair amount of rust in it and I raked out what I could get which was about enough to fill a 1/4 measuring cup with. I'm thinking that with it running that constant hot temp that there's got to be a restriction in it somewhere, probably due to the rust. Also the heater is not getting no where near as hot as it should be especialy with the water temp that high Especialy since the water pump, thermostat, radiator, radiator cap and hoses are relativly new (most replaced less than a year ago except the thermostat just replaced it today) I just got finished running some prestone radiator flush through it, and getting ready to go flush it out. What would be the best way to try to remove the rust from the system? I noticed on the bottom of the block that there are 2 plugs going into the water passages on the front of the 2 forward freeze plugs on the side of the block. Can I remove one of these plugs and run the water hose in the radiator while the engines running to get out the rust or what? What's the best way to flush the system?

Old 06-20-2009, 08:39 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the more freeze plugs and drain plugs you remove the better you can flush it.

leave freeze plugs out.
remove pipe plugs on the sides (drain plugs)
remove the t-stat housing and run water in the top of the engine.
cut or remove the heater hoses and flush heater core both ways.

if you've got a lot of loose rust, its likely to have clogged up your new radiator.
after flushing and running it awhile, if it doesn't get better,
then try removing the t-stat and running it w/o one.

if its still overheating, then you have either a bad radiator or water pump or fan.
test fan by spinning it. it should have some resistance, stop w/in 1-2 turns and not freewheel.

Quick Reply: 94 1500 running 230deg contantly