2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Steering Column Clunk/ distributor cap burning up.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 10:26 PM
estech2
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Column Clunk/ distributor cap burning up.

I can feel it in the brake and gas peddle as well. Mostly when I take off from a stop. Already shimmed the column joint just passed the firewall in the E compartment and that took care of the shaking while driving but not the other. Also what could be causing the center lug on the distributor cap to burn up and become loose every 4 to 6 months. I have a stock coil.

Old 06-20-2009, 11:53 PM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that little bit of a clunk could be your shock mount bushings....mine are shot and make a clunk when taking off and stopping

for the dizzy, are you talking about the inside of it?....if so then make sure you arent putting it on at an angle and you are putting it on straight down, theyre easy to get on a little bit wrong and mess up

Old 06-21-2009, 05:12 AM
estech2
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats mine too. Feels like the front axel is going to come out from under my truck. I don't feel it in the seat or the floor, just the steering column and the peddels. Weird!

Old 06-22-2009, 05:32 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

one clunk cause is a worn out tranny mount but that'd be right under you and not in the front so maybe/maybe not. its worth a look, get under there and make sure its firm rubber and not coated in oil/atf. my camaro had a worn out one when i got it and if i got on it from a stop the transmission would hit the floor board.

Quick Reply: Steering Column Clunk/ distributor cap burning up.