2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

new need help

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 08:55 PM
ZWilson07
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new need help

i know the 2nd gen dodge rams dont have true 4 doors such as the 3rd gen, but im looking into like a 2000 or 2001. but whats the difference between the club cab and the quad cab, because from the outside they look the same but i know their not, i just cant find anywere that explains the differences. and in those years is the slt/laramie (are those the same or 2 different) the best trim package you can get and how does it differ from the other trims

Old 06-21-2009, 09:27 PM
rocku

Quad doors open.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:09 PM
Ram15002ndGen
Record Breaker

I think the club cab became an out dated term in 98. The Club cab like in my 97 meant you had the extra seat in the back but no doors. In 98 they came out with the half doors, thus the quad cab. Laramie SLT is all one trim package. I don't recall too well since I didn't keep my brochure from 12 years ago, but I think all they had was the work truck, base model, and the Laramie SLT. The difference was that the base work truck had plastic flooring for carpet, roll up windows, speedo, temp, & fuel gauge, the rest were idiot lights, no radio and was a stick. Auto tranny was extra. Base model had cheapo carpet, bench seats, roll windows, cheap radio with two speakers, simple gauges as before. Laramie SLT gave you full cluster of gauges (speedo, tach, fuel, temp, oil, amps), better radio, with cassette, and 4 speakers, power windows, locks, cruise, auto tranny, better cloth interior, chrome mirrors, chrome bumpers, body side moldings, rear gate protector, on top of that there was also the tow package (which I got), fog lights (which I didn't get cause they were over priced. I later installed after markets in the OE slots for $20. Look just like OE), and you could also opt for an even better radio with equalizer and 2 extra speakers (which I didn't get cause even the dealer admitted it was too much for a simple upgrade) Still using and enjoying my stock radio with cassette and four speakers. Sounds good enough for me.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:48 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Not sure if this is 100% accurate or not, but...

2001 model years:
SLT (second from highest) was available for regular, club (extended), or quad cabs.
SLT Plus, highest trim level, was only available for quad cabs.

2000 model years:
No quad cab option was available, only regular or club (extended) cabs.

Got that from edmunds.com and their "Pricing and Information" tool.

Old 06-21-2009, 11:04 PM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Laramie SLT and don't have chrome mirrors. I have heated mirrors and by the looks of it so does jason. Maybe that was a newer model thing

Old 06-22-2009, 05:14 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ram15002ndGen
I think the club cab became an out dated term in 98. The Club cab like in my 97 meant you had the extra seat in the back but no doors. In 98 they came out with the half doors, thus the quad cab. Laramie SLT is all one trim package. I don't recall too well since I didn't keep my brochure from 12 years ago, but I think all they had was the work truck, base model, and the Laramie SLT. The difference was that the base work truck had plastic flooring for carpet, roll up windows, speedo, temp, & fuel gauge, the rest were idiot lights, no radio and was a stick. Auto tranny was extra. Base model had cheapo carpet, bench seats, roll windows, cheap radio with two speakers, simple gauges as before. Laramie SLT gave you full cluster of gauges (speedo, tach, fuel, temp, oil, amps), better radio, with cassette, and 4 speakers, power windows, locks, cruise, auto tranny, better cloth interior, chrome mirrors, chrome bumpers, body side moldings, rear gate protector, on top of that there was also the tow package (which I got), fog lights (which I didn't get cause they were over priced. I later installed after markets in the OE slots for $20. Look just like OE), and you could also opt for an even better radio with equalizer and 2 extra speakers (which I didn't get cause even the dealer admitted it was too much for a simple upgrade) Still using and enjoying my stock radio with cassette and four speakers. Sounds good enough for me.
the auto tranny should have been on the base model with the nv3500 as the upgrade.

Originally Posted by jasonw

2001 model years:
SLT (second from highest) was available for regular, club (extended), or quad cabs.

2000 model years:

98-01 all had the quad cab option (it was club from 94-97). mine is a 2000 quad cab SLT Laramie.

Originally Posted by BlueBeast2
I have a Laramie SLT and don't have chrome mirrors. I have heated mirrors and by the looks of it so does jason. Maybe that was a newer model thing
94-97 had chrome mirrors. 98-01 had the black plastic mirrors, i believe the heated glass was an option.

Old 06-22-2009, 05:30 AM
jjtroutbum
Professional

I really enjoy this type of thread. Good question OP.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:46 PM
Ram15002ndGen
Record Breaker

Yep, 98's had the quad cab and I think they ran it all the way to the 3rd gens when they came out with full doors. I remember my wife complaining after I bought my 97 and the 98 came out with doors. She thought it would be easier to get the little one in and out. (She was little back then, they grow faster than you can believe.) Now it makes no difference. I was always happy with my 97 for a couple of reasons, I liked my chrome mirrors (disappeared in 98) and I liked my dash (changed in 98) and later I found out what a piece of crap those 98 dashes were that they keep breaking, and that made me even happier I got the old one that I don't see anyone complain about any cracks. Dodge probably changed manufacturers for the 98 dash from the 97 dash, big mistake.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:52 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Well, Chrysler became DaimlerChrysler in 1998.

I love 1997 Rams.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:16 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonw

2001 model years:

2000 model years:

You sure about that, kiddo?

BTW, we have a glossary for this kind of thing.