2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1998 Dodge 1500 4X4 help..

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 03:12 AM
Hendogg
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And thank you all.. For yalls help as well.. I mite steel be broke down if yall didn't care.. Thank You All...
Ray Henderson...

Old 06-24-2009, 06:01 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Glad you finally got it.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:50 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

woo-hoo. thats 2 in one week where removal of 02 gave a temp fix.

Old 06-24-2009, 04:50 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I talked to the friend last night that I figured that prob out for last Sunday, and he has since gutted the cat and the thing runs awesome he says , using the same o2 sensor. He's replacing both anyway ,but not until this weekend after payday. I'm starting to wonder if the TSB or looking down the TB are both real indicators if the plenum is bad. Or if just removing it and looking is the only way. I'm also thinking if the cat's were bad and Chrysler did replace them for a while free, if that is the cause of the plenum going bad, opposed to the other way around , which is what I always thought. Hmmm

Old 06-24-2009, 08:54 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by zman17
I'm starting to wonder if the TSB or looking down the TB are both real indicators if the plenum is bad. Or if just removing it and looking is the only way.

I'm also thinking if the cat's were bad and Chrysler did replace them for a while free, if that is the cause of the plenum going bad, opposed to the other way around , which is what I always thought. Hmmm
#1. i don't think the TSB is valid unless its a BIG leak. i also think all the damn stock one's leak period.

#2. i don't see how a clogged cat and resulting backpressure would affect the plenum. the backpressure would interfere with engine vac and fuel flow and reduce manifold negative pressure. it wouldn't create positive pressure nor hurt anything other than maybe increase temps some.

i do see how excessive oil burn might contribute to a cat problem, but i think the bigger problem is just crappy cats.

hell, i may go out and remove my front 02 just to see what happens...
who knows, it might get the pig out of the back.

Old 06-25-2009, 03:54 AM
Hendogg
Thumbs up

Well i do know that you Can start the Motor and pull off the hose that go's to the Driver side vale cover And if you have Vacuum on it... You need to pull it and put a new Gasket on it.. That is the Easy st way that i have found to check to see if it is bad.. Thats how i found out my 99 Durango was bad and my 01 Dakota R/T...

Old 06-25-2009, 04:11 AM
Hendogg

Originally Posted by zman17
I talked to the friend last night that I figured that prob out for last Sunday, and he has since gutted the cat and the thing runs awesome he says , using the same o2 sensor. He's replacing both anyway ,but not until this weekend after payday. I'm starting to wonder if the TSB or looking down the TB are both real indicators if the plenum is bad. Or if just removing it and looking is the only way. I'm also thinking if the cat's were bad and Chrysler did replace them for a while free, if that is the cause of the plenum going bad, opposed to the other way around , which is what I always thought. Hmmm
Well i do know that you Can start the Motor and pull off the hose that go's to the Driver side vale cover. And if you have Vacuum on the Valve cover then... You need to pull the Plenum and put a new Gasket on it.. That is the Easy st way that i have found to check to see if Plenum is bad.. Thats how i found out my 99 Durango was bad and my 01 Dakota R/T...

Old 06-25-2009, 04:27 AM
Hendogg
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
#1. i don't think the TSB is valid unless its a BIG leak. i also think all the damn stock one's leak period.

#2. i don't see how a clogged cat and resulting backpressure would affect the plenum. the backpressure would interfere with engine vac and fuel flow and reduce manifold negative pressure. it wouldn't create positive pressure nor hurt anything other than maybe increase temps some.

i do see how excessive oil burn might contribute to a cat problem, but i think the bigger problem is just crappy cats.

hell, i may go out and remove my front 02 just to see what happens...
who knows, it might get the pig out of the back.
And my truck would not Start all it would do is hit and try to start.. It did not have a Temps Increase.. It made it not start.. And not it runs funny And shifts funny.... So it hurt Some thing in it or on it.. And i Can't say that the Cats are crappy Because the truck has 220,K on it and this is the 1st time any thing has went wrong with the truck.. I bout it from a 1 Owner and she said that this was the 1st time that they had any Problems with the truck.. And my 99 Durango that i bout new in 99 has not had any other thing done to it but the Plenum and it has 190,K on it and steel runs like it did when it was new...
But the main Problem with the Cats is when your Car or Truck starts to miss on a Plug or a bad wire, it don't burn up all of the gas.. And then is burns out a Cat... And we wonder why.. If we all keep the plugs and wires changed it would not happen as much.. Like when your Check Motor light comes on and it steel runs ok we just let it go.. And No one can do that and get any miles out of a Cat...

Quick Reply: 1998 Dodge 1500 4X4 help..