2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front end help

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 04:26 PM
mugsaway
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Front end help

I am stumped.....

Had a bad right front bearing - replaced but still feel sloppy front end.

Brought it to a few mechanics to have the front end checked out - all report ok. One even said the front end was "tight", even the suspect track bar.

I drive down the road and over regular cracks it feels sloppy - like something is loose. What else can be the problem? I thought maybe something in the steering, and perhaps it is, but I can feel it through the gas pedal also.

What problems have others experienced with the truck? What problems does my truck have that are persistent issues? I have a '99 Ram, 5.9, 4x4. Any help in pointing me in the right direction would be great.

Thanks all,

Mugs

Old 06-22-2009, 07:07 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

When they checked the "front end" did they also check the steering shaft and gear box? These steering shafts are not as bad as the first gen's, but they still have there problems. And the gear boxes are pretty much junk at best.

Have someone saw the steering wheel back and forth a bit and see how much the pitman arm actually moves... there may be some slop in the steering gear itself, and possibly the shaft too.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:55 AM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

balljoints?.......you might just get you a steering stabilizer

Old 06-23-2009, 01:02 AM
xray99
Banned

I would imagine any front end guy worth a damn would not miss defective ball joints, tie rods ect.

Have you checked control arm bushings ?
Depleted bushings can cause a mushy feel.
Spent shocks can also make the front end feel sloppy.

Quick Reply: Front end help