2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Stealership? Transmission Flush

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 05:56 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Because they are charging you for what they ran through it, and I hope they used atf+4.

Old 06-23-2009, 06:40 PM
Linustratus
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you guys are all nuts. You have to ask for what you want if they dont just come right out and tell you what they are going to do, and you will (or at least should) get just that. In my shop, i do trans flushes all the time, and with the right cleaner prior to flush, and conditioner afterwords, your trans should be perfect unless something else is going on. Ive actually tested it on my ram, did a flush with and without the cleaner, and the filter looked exactly the same. I didnt buy the whole cleaner/flush thing, so i had to do it. Wouldnt sell something i wasnt sure about. I guess it also depends on what the old fluid looked like too. So i dunno, you know what they say about opinions...... Also, for any trans flush/filter change, it should be no more than 200.00 at most. Bummer for you, I would go raise hell i guess.

Old 06-23-2009, 06:50 PM
Linustratus
Professional

Originally Posted by dadgemanjoe
Check this out..just got a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 and loving it. Took her to the dealer for a transmission "flush" My assumption was they remove all the fluid ...including the fluid in the tourque converter. They charged me 250 bucks.

I crawled underneath last night and noticed the tranny pan has not even been dropped. So that means the filter was not changed.

Has anyone else ever heard of anything like this? I think they pulled all the fluid out and refilled it and never changed the filter.
Your other problem is you took it to a dealership......

Old 06-23-2009, 07:07 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ah man your going to need a tranny rebuild in no time

Old 06-23-2009, 07:40 PM
sawtooth
Rookie

TSB
http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2007/26-003-07.htm

If you are going to drop the pan for a filter change, you might consider installing a transmission drain plug. http://www.summitracing.com/search/?...ug%20kit&dds=1

Old 06-23-2009, 07:54 PM
DODGEIT105
Rookie

On a flush they completely replace all the fluid so it will take more to refill it. Dropping the pan and changing the fluid does not take as much since some of the old fluid remains in the system. i.e.Torque converter, lines and what is trapped up above the valve body. However changing the filter and adding fresh fluid will renew the remaining old fluid and not really cause any harm. It is the recommended way to do it. You will need ATF+4 or equivilent fluid since yours is a 2001. ATF+3 will cause torque converter shudder on 2001 and newer units.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:10 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DODGEIT105
Dropping the pan and changing the fluid does not take as much since some of the old fluid remains in the system.
Actually, more old fluid remains in the system than is drained out when done this way. So long as the fluid hasn't been subjected to overheating or abuse, this is the recommended procedure. If the old fluid smells burned, is discolored or there are metal shavings present, the entire system should be flushed and refilled.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:02 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My shop it was 50 bucks! Tom I plan to drop the pan and change filter and gasket.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:11 PM
charlie1935
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had mine flushed at 77000 miles. Also had them drop the pan, adjust bands and new filter. It cost me more that way but that's what I wanted. At that time (about 4 1/2 years ago) that cost me $244.00.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:15 PM
Ram15002ndGen
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by sawtooth
TSB
http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2007/26-003-07.htm

If you are going to drop the pan for a filter change, you might consider installing a transmission drain plug. http://www.summitracing.com/search/?...ug%20kit&dds=1
That TSB like most DODGE TSBs can be read two different ways. It means no FLUSHING, be careful and don't take it to mean no fluid changes (Not you sawtooth, but anyone else reading it). I agree that the drain plug is a great idea. Without one you will always make a huge mess. That is what I dread about doing a tranny filter change. I have thought about installing a drain plug but always worried it might hit a moving part or something.

Originally Posted by DODGEIT105
On a flush they completely replace all the fluid so it will take more to refill it. Dropping the pan and changing the fluid does not take as much since some of the old fluid remains in the system. i.e.Torque converter, lines and what is trapped up above the valve body. However changing the filter and adding fresh fluid will renew the remaining old fluid and not really cause any harm. It is the recommended way to do it. You will need ATF+4 or equivilent fluid since yours is a 2001. ATF+3 will cause torque converter shudder on 2001 and newer units.
I did a tranny fluid change recently and I couldn't find ATF+3 anywhere, (my 97 has ATF+3 in her) it's not made any more. I upgraded mine to ATF+4 since it is backward compatible. It actually shifted a little smoother after the change.

Originally Posted by Miami_Son
Actually, more old fluid remains in the system than is drained out when done this way. So long as the fluid hasn't been subjected to overheating or abuse, this is the recommended procedure. If the old fluid smells burned, is discolored or there are metal shavings present, the entire system should be flushed and refilled.
Of coarse there will always be metal shavings (or metalized goop) on the magnet (again just clarifying, so no one panics).

Quick Reply: Stealership? Transmission Flush