2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dodge Ram 2wd-lifted

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 01:08 PM
Ram15002ndGen
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dakotas ram
no different really than on a 4x4...... i pondered lifting my 2wd.....i had been using it alot hauling my boat in the back and was going alot more places than if it had been lowered.....i was gonna do it for the looks....who cares if its only a 4x2?......4x4 trucks do it pretty much for looks too, no matter how much they say that they so it for the functionality
In the big city, most people lift them just for the looks. But it is kinda silly to lift a 2wd. If people see a lifted truck and don't see the front differential they are going to wonder WTF! A 2wd, v6, lifted, kinda silly. That is just a DD, enjoy it. In the back country and rough country roads, or mudding, that's what a lifted (4x4) really is for.

Old 06-27-2009, 03:02 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I won't say a modestly lifted 2X is ridiculous because a number of my moto friends have lifted 2Xs or at least leveled them. It is mostly for looks, but has practical considerations when loading/carrying dirtbikes. Leveling the front does bring the tailgate down a little making loading/unloading easier. And many of these guys can go almost as far as I can on the trail so long as mud isn't involved. But a full-blown lift kit on a 2X seems like a waste. If you wanted a lifted truck you should have bought a 4X4.

Old 06-27-2009, 03:16 PM
willstruck
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just level the front, or lift the front 3" and throw AALs in the rear if you wanna go suspension. A little lift on a 2wd looks cool, a lot looks stupid.

As for 2wd vs 4wd, my friends with locked up rear ends only use 4wd when they get stuck, which isn't often. A locked up 2wd can almost outwheel 4wd.

Old 06-27-2009, 03:35 PM
Trey318
Captain

To me it makes it look like a wannabe 4wd, which is one of many reasons I wanted to get rid of my lift and oversized tires. But, to each their own. If you want my old helper springs, I'd be willing to sell them to you. I think Ive already got a buyer for my front spring spacers, though.

Old 12-17-2009, 06:20 AM
Crown Imperial

I lift 2wd's. Anybody ever hear of the "Baja 250,500 or 1000" The biggest offroad races in North America. AND Yes, 98% of the vehicles in these races are 2wd. Often refered to as "Prerunners". Unless your climbing or mudding, a 2wd will go anywhere a 4x4 will. I've seen 2wd's with posi rear-ends EAT 4x4's uphill at the sand dunes. 80% of lifted 4x4's never even see any dirt, but you can be pretty sure that if you see a prerunnered 2wd it gets used and if built right its getting used at 90mph across the desert. To answer your question "Jessed". You are way better doing a suspension lift. Those 4" springs you found would require longer upper control arms to be able to correct the negative camber and cutting off the bumpstop horn off of the spring pocket to keep your upper arms from smackin on it. I have been doin 2wd lifts for a long time and have never heard of anyone making a 4" coil for the 94-01 ram. What brand are they? How many inches are you looking to go? You can get a 3" lift spindle, 3" lift coil & a extended upper control arm for a total of 6" in the front. With doin the 6" inches in the front you would need a 4" block or 2" block with a 2" add-a-leaf in the rear.

Old 12-17-2009, 06:35 AM
Crown Imperial

You cant do this with your 4x4............and drive it home.
Name:  FSTTruck2.jpg
Views: 738
Size:  17.2 KB

Old 12-17-2009, 09:11 AM
RonRacer
Professional

I do a little off roading in my 2wd with no problem(well maybe a little problem)... i want a modest lift, just up to the stock 4x4 height. like a few people said before as long as it isnt any real deep thick mud I'm good

Old 12-17-2009, 10:02 AM
Dr Donut
Veteran

I use my 4x4s for offroading and also all of these baja vehicles everyone is talking about he would have to dump a **** ton of money into his truck to make it compare to those. But also when you say offroading most people don"t assume desert racing they think muddy trails etc imo

Old 12-17-2009, 10:29 AM
lord0fsal3m
Captain

when i run trails i always run in 2wd unless there is a huge puddle and its fine, just get some good M/T's on the back, the only time ive really needed the 4wd is when i get stuck, and to climb hills and rain ruts, but if i saw a 6" lifted truck with no front diff, id definatly be thinking WTF. those baja runners dump thousands just into their shocks, those truck probably cost well over $100K theres no way that anyone on the forum can do something like that truck 4x4 or 4x2, nor would probably want to, cant imagine landing feels to good on your body lol

Old 12-17-2009, 02:29 PM
RonRacer
Professional

Originally Posted by lord0fsal3m
nor would probably want to, cant imagine landing feels to good on your body lol
LMAO

Quick Reply: Dodge Ram 2wd-lifted