2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

transmission cooling upgrade, need suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 04:39 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ram15002ndGen
BTW didn't any of your trucks come with a tranny cooler? Mine has a tranny cooler factory installed between the condenser and the radiator. First the lines go into the radiator, then out to the cooler, then back to the tranny. I would think that would be good enough.

Mine came like that. I still figured an extra couldn't hurt. Mine lines go from the radiator to the stock cooler; then from the stock cooler to the after market cooler, and back to the transmission.

Old 06-27-2009, 04:52 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

anyone that gets a tranny cooler ought to buy a heat gun from the parts store (20$) and check the tranny and the cooler lines after a couple trips and then check the new cooler and the tranny again after the install. i was told that you want the fluid to be at or under 176º.

Old 06-27-2009, 06:32 PM
szarin
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ram15002ndGen
BTW didn't any of your trucks come with a tranny cooler? Mine has a tranny cooler factory installed between the condenser and the radiator. First the lines go into the radiator, then out to the cooler, then back to the tranny. I would think that would be good enough.
Yes, my truck came with a tranny cooler, however its very small and with the 408 "transplant" almost done i know i used to drive... and im afraid how i will drive with extra horse power hehe... I'd rather be safe and spend 250 bucks, then be out 1600 to buy/rebuild a new tranny.

I also go 4x4'ing a lot, as someone already said, you can't generate enough airflow when your crawling along the trails. Its better to be safe than be stuck out in the mountains 120 miles from civilization with a busted truck

My truck has a 7" lift on it, i had to remove the rad to bring the engine outta of the engine compartment. The 2ton engine hoist wasnt tall enough to bring the engine overtop of the rad. When the time comes to re-connect the rad. I'm thinking of going from the tranny ->stock cooler->B&M cooler->tranny....

I'm also considering add the filter... i guess it can't hurt.

Regarding the deep oil pan i will measure the one that is on tranny atm. I got my hands on the 351 page mopar performance catalog. They list this part
- 1 P5007740AB Oil Pan, Cast, 3.90" Deep, 1990–2001 A-518 it has the extra hole already in the pan for the temp sensor. I talked to chrysler to confirm, the a518 and the 46re are the same transmissions. I still believe this one is deeper than the factory.

EDIT: the factory pan on the 46re (a-518) is 2 3/4", the part number listed above is a chrysler dealership number, it lists it a 3.9" and has an extra hole for temperature sensor. Summit racing has the same part number on their website, but they do not mention if it has a second hole for a sensor.

Last edited by szarin; 06-27-2009 at 07:22 PM.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:48 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion

one thing you could do for crawling is mount an electric fan the size of the new cooler in front of or on it and when your crawling or mudding just flip on the fan.

Old 06-27-2009, 09:11 PM
szarin
Rookie

yah, ive been looking at fans too...

i have so much wire in the truck i had to make my own wire harness with split tubing so it looked like factory. I was dreading adding anything new, but i think im gonna have to bite the bullet.

Once i get everything up and running again (looks at the sky and prays heh) i will take some pics.

I just need to see how much clearance i have on the rad once everything is back together. Dont want to buy something only to realize its not gonna fit. being up in canada returning anything i order off the net is a pain in the ***.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:35 PM
Ram15002ndGen
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by szarin
Yes, my truck came with a tranny cooler, however its very small and with the 408 "transplant" almost done i know i used to drive... and im afraid how i will drive with extra horse power hehe... I'd rather be safe and spend 250 bucks, then be out 1600 to buy/rebuild a new tranny.

I also go 4x4'ing a lot, as someone already said, you can't generate enough airflow when your crawling along the trails. Its better to be safe than be stuck out in the mountains 120 miles from civilization with a busted truck

My truck has a 7" lift on it, i had to remove the rad to bring the engine outta of the engine compartment. The 2ton engine hoist wasnt tall enough to bring the engine overtop of the rad. When the time comes to re-connect the rad. I'm thinking of going from the tranny ->stock cooler->B&M cooler->tranny....
Good point. I have never actually seen mine since it's wedged in between the radiator and condenser. I didn't even think of looking at that when I took my radiator out 2 or 3 years back to have it rodded. Wasn't high on my list of priorities since I was dealing with an over heating problem. I agree if the factory cooler is small, then add more cooling to it, and a tranny temp gauge is a good idea. I may add one to mine one day since I use this truck for traveling.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:39 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sheriff420
one thing you could do for crawling is mount an electric fan the size of the new cooler in front of or on it and when your crawling or mudding just flip on the fan.
Mount is as high as you can on the rad.

Old 06-28-2009, 01:32 AM
szarin
Rookie

hmmm, never thought about that, thats a good idea mounting them high.

Been doing a lot of research into this, and it comes down to this. Want your suggestions.

okies, seeing how i had horrible problems with my old truck's transmission... i am looking at doing the following...

Installing extra deep transmission oil pan.
Installing temperature gauge for transmission pan.
Installing in-line transmission filter
modifying transmission oil path. so it does the following
- tranny -> filter -> stock rad -> aux rad -> tranny

Now the question is...
The point of adding the extra deep oil pan is for two reasons.
1) it already has a port for a temperature gauge. It means i dont have drill a hole and weld in a bung.
2) it adds an extra 2 quarts of oil to the system meaning it can transfer the heat to the oil better.

however... i can add a standard oil filter to the system. Or i can get a filter adapter with a spot for a temperature sensor. It means i can save myself about 200 bucks + custom fees... Is it worth it for the 200 bucks to get the extra 2 quarts? and put the sensor in the pan? i have already seen some debate regarding the sensor in the pan or in-line.

perma cool has an inline tranmission filter adapter with a temperature sensor port built in
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PRM-5021/

do i need to worry about the pressure in the hose, is it too much for the oil filter?

Thanks guys.

Old 06-28-2009, 02:37 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Old 04-02-2013, 09:26 AM
biker250

Has anybody seen somebody bypass the radiator and just send the transmission fluid from the transmission to a cooler and back? I would like to eliminate the radiator from the path of the trans. fluid.....has it been done?

Quick Reply: transmission cooling upgrade, need suggestions