2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Question about Gaskets and Torque of Bolts

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 06:28 PM
Ram15002ndGen
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Miami_Son
I suggest a torque wrench for anyone new to working on their car, regardless of the part. I rarely use a torque wrench except on things like heads, pinion nuts or other critical parts subjected to heat/cool cycles that depend on proper torque. But I have years of experience in working on vehicles and have pretty good feel for when a fastener is properly tightened. Someone new to this probably doesn't and that inexperience can lead to everything I listed earlier. In the case of a diff cover, they are so thick that they're pretty hard to warp from over-tightening, but you have to consider that a leak from even a small warpage will likely go unnoticed and could cause all the fluid to eventually leak out over time. And undertightening can lead to fastener loss, also easy to go undetected under the vehicle.

When I had my Harley shop I regularly saw the damage that can be done by some DIYer who thought damn tight was the right torque spec.
Makes sense. That has always been my fear with using a torque wrench. I trust the torque calibrations built into my fingers over years of tearing down and putting stuff back together, more than the wrench itself. In delicate situations (aluminum blocks or parts) I will generally snug things up, let it go a few days, check for leaks and snug up more if needed. I give the gaskets time to expand and contract as needed. The iron parts of the block are much more forgiving that all this new aluminum stuff they use now a days. I have a Mustang also and I hear all the troubles they have in the mustang forums with the aluminum blocks. They have to be babied a lot more than our V8s.

Quick Reply: Question about Gaskets and Torque of Bolts