2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

replace it all or...

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 12:07 AM
chromed95
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default replace it all or...

hey everybody. i've got a tie rod thats starting to get some play in it and i'm just wondering if i should just replace the one tie rod, or all of them since they are all still factory. been thinking about replacing the track bar also. its got 127,000 and everything is still factory. what are some good brands to look for when replacing this stuff? i really haven't payed that much attention to how many components there are I could replace as far as tie rods in the steering system...so could anybody give me a list of what there is? it'd be much appreciated. its a '95 2500 V8.

Old 06-28-2009, 02:24 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

theres only 2 tie rods, one on each wheel.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:23 AM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well... there are 4 total depending on what you call them. You have two at each wheel, one at the drag link, and depending on your steering, one that connects the drag link to the center link(or pass side tie rod).
If it were me I'd replace them all, but not just based on mileage. Chances are if one is well worn, the others are borderline. My experience with Murphy's law shows that when you replace one, it places stress on the others and then you end up changing them all in time.
My suggestion as far as brands is to look for greasable ends, I'm not too brand specific anymore since most front end components are made overseas and reboxed when shipped here. So I woudn't stress over warranties either.
Online, Rock Auto and E bay have pretty good pricing.

Last edited by dsertdog56; 06-28-2009 at 09:47 AM.

Quick Reply: replace it all or...