2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Trouble with my ram. Codes and hiss

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 05:01 PM
ray406h
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did a compression check, 5 & 6 were 50 and 75psi. did a leak down, and heard some from #5 in the exhaust.

As my employer is taking up all my free time, I have regrettably taken it in to a non dealer mechanic who employes a freind of a friend.

It makes no sense for this to happen at such low miles, the truck has been empecibly maintained and has never been low on coolant or over 205 degrees...

Old 08-08-2009, 01:26 PM
ray406h
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, didnt get back, work has been very crazy, I am salaried, which is code for slave.

I never saw the old heads.

To diagnose it, I went through all the stuff that are the usual suspects, all tune up options, plenum tests, fuel pressure, replaced cat..

and then I ran a compression check on a known good, #1, and then on #5. #1 was near 170, #5 was at 70#.

I took a leak down test and couldnt get past 40 psi on # 5, even with the rockers off. Heard a hiss out the exhaust.

Since I am very busy, I asked a couple of good friends and got the name of a private shop who employess a friend of a friend. They pulled the heads and sent them to a machine shop. the shop said they werent repairable, but I think they may have been, but with a risk of breakage bening higher than with new. I suspect that the valve seats cracked and could have been ground and replaced.

Any way, its not missing and is giving me whiplash when I accellerate. Amazing how much power a v8 has over a v6...

Quick Reply: Trouble with my ram. Codes and hiss