2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dodge May Start Dash Recall Soon

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 11:02 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dodge15004x45.9
Air bags go off over 5-15 mph.
Sometimes it requires even more than that.

Back when I had my 1995 Dakota, I hit a little 1980s Chevrolet cavalier-sized car (can't recall the exact model) from behind. My front driver's brake had failed (no pad left). Thats a long story unto itself where my grandfather, a long time mechanic, said it was fine when it wasn't. I won't go into that.

Anyway, exited the interstate onto an off ramp, it was wet (been lightly raining all day), and wet plus no pad means I couldn't stop. Hit that car doing approximately 45 mph.

My airbags did not deploy. Even though I had literally put his trunk into his back seat, the ol' Dakota only needed new front headlights, grille, bumper, and hood latch. The radiator was a little scraped, but other than that, untouched.

The airbags go off after a certain amount of "crunching" takes place.

Old 07-02-2009, 11:12 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Did it have air bags to start?

Old 07-02-2009, 11:16 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

No, they didn't invent air bags until the late 90s.

Yes, it had air bags.

Old 07-02-2009, 11:29 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

uhh. you got me jason. They should have popped. I did fins this. On wikipedia,
"Airbags became common in the 1980s, with Chrysler and Ford introducing them in the mid-1980s; it was Chrysler that made them standard equipment across its entire line in 1990 (except for trucks until 1995). Airbags were not mandatory on light trucks until 1995"

Last edited by dodge15004x45.9; 07-02-2009 at 11:33 PM.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:15 AM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Laramie1997
Let's talk physics for a second. Did either of you have this in high school or college?

Let me pose the first question: What is the purpose of the airbag?
Purpose: To deploy upon impact with a speed great enough to allow it to become fully inflated to save the driver extreme injury. With me so far?

Now, let's get to the physics: When an object is moving forward, where is the inertia going to be? If the object isn't accelerating, there will be zero (0) inertia present. When the object impacts a stationary object, Where is inertia going to be then? It's going to follow the same direction that the object was traveling before sudden impact. So, if you are in a head on collision, the "dash shards" will be faced forward.
Since the air bag sensors are in the front end only, this eliminates the theory of side or rear impact.
Considering that the average automotive air bag will deploy in .10 seconds or less, There is a better chance of watching the moon fall out of the sky tonight before your theory becomes true.

Now bring the flames!
I suggest you do the practical testing and write a report of your findings. Use your own truck.

Old 07-03-2009, 01:28 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by dodge15004x45.9
uhh. you got me jason. They should have popped. I did fins this. On wikipedia,
"Airbags became common in the 1980s, with Chrysler and Ford introducing them in the mid-1980s; it was Chrysler that made them standard equipment across its entire line in 1990 (except for trucks until 1995). Airbags were not mandatory on light trucks until 1995"
They should not have popped.

The damage to my truck was no where near fatality causing, let alone causing any injury besides a bit of neck soreness from the sudden deceleration. The engine was untouched.

Old 07-03-2009, 04:04 AM
Oren09
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Air bags only deploy when the crunch sensors (front ones are typically on or behind the front frame rail or metal bumper (for cars with plastic up front)) are activated. Or also when the car suddenly decelerates. There are advanced sensors typically mounted in the passenger compartment that detect a vehicles forward g's, lateral g's, and the tilt of the body. This data is sent to the SRS computer to help determine what the car is doing. If the sensors say the vehicle is cruising at 70MPH, then is suddenly going 0, the air bags will deploy. If you combine more crash sensors for side and rear, more or other air bags (such as side curtain or seat mounted ones) can be deployed to better protect the occupants based on impact speed and direction. Air bags are intended to prevent your torso and head from impacting with the steering wheel, just as head rests are there so your neck doesn't wrap around the seat back. However, if an air bag were to go off for you bumping into the car in front of you while parking at Wal-Mart, they would do more damage than good. Air bags deploy at amazing speed and slam into your face causing rashes and bruises. Also, the gas used to inflate them can asphexiate you.

But yes, the dashboard pieces, along with whatever crap is laying on your console or in your hand, will contine to travel forward (away from you) when the truck stops.

Old 07-03-2009, 08:01 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Miami_Son
I suggest you do the practical testing and write a report of your findings. Use your own truck.
Umm.... Nah, my truck isn't a good example. It sat outside in the scorching sun all of it's 12 years. Not a single crack.

Was thinking a little more about this last night, and isn't the dash made from vinyl not plastic?

Old 07-03-2009, 09:43 AM
hutch1973
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's plastic I believe.

Laramie you are right, earlier I talked about the business side of the issue, didn't even think about the odds of the event even happening. Truthfully, if it was possible to happen, it already would have. I don't think it's likely at all. Seems like someone is trying to get a new dash....but with the age of these trucks, give up on any recalls at this point.

Old 07-03-2009, 10:35 AM
pavement_hater
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish this could happen. My wife just noticed 2 weeks ago that my dash has finally started to crack. I guess 8 years wasn't a bad run.

Quick Reply: Dodge May Start Dash Recall Soon