2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dodge May Start Dash Recall Soon

Old 07-03-2009, 11:08 AM
Ram15002ndGen
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Oren09
Air bags only deploy when the crunch sensors (front ones are typically on or behind the front frame rail or metal bumper (for cars with plastic up front)) are activated. Or also when the car suddenly decelerates. There are advanced sensors typically mounted in the passenger compartment that detect a vehicles forward g's, lateral g's, and the tilt of the body. This data is sent to the SRS computer to help determine what the car is doing. If the sensors say the vehicle is cruising at 70MPH, then is suddenly going 0, the air bags will deploy. If you combine more crash sensors for side and rear, more or other air bags (such as side curtain or seat mounted ones) can be deployed to better protect the occupants based on impact speed and direction. Air bags are intended to prevent your torso and head from impacting with the steering wheel, just as head rests are there so your neck doesn't wrap around the seat back. However, if an air bag were to go off for you bumping into the car in front of you while parking at Wal-Mart, they would do more damage than good. Air bags deploy at amazing speed and slam into your face causing rashes and bruises. Also, the gas used to inflate them can asphexiate you.

But yes, the dashboard pieces, along with whatever crap is laying on your console or in your hand, will contine to travel forward (away from you) when the truck stops.
Air bags have become progressively smarter due to problems encountered in their existence. The earlier air bags were most likely not so smart. As a side note, air bags actually existed since the early 1970's but GM fought any and all attempts to put them on cars.

Originally Posted by Laramie1997
Umm.... Nah, my truck isn't a good example. It sat outside in the scorching sun all of it's 12 years. Not a single crack.
I've said before the 94-97 dashes were different and better than the ones that came after. I can't complain about my dash either. The only thing I found was crappy on my truck was a cheap water pump.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:27 PM
Raymorog

Hell Ive got a 1990 Dodge Power Ram with an immaculate condition dashboard, however, my 2001 4x4 Dodge Ram 1500, dash looks like King Kong sat on it...Yeah it started cracking 2003, and well has only worsened since then..

Old 02-04-2010, 07:31 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Raymorog
Hell Ive got a 1990 Dodge Power Ram with an immaculate condition dashboard, however, my 2001 4x4 Dodge Ram 1500, dash looks like King Kong sat on it...Yeah it started cracking 2003, and well has only worsened since then..
Completely different manufacture.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:12 PM
Dakine69302
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ram15002ndGen
I agree with you guys but that is a really stupid way to do business. That is a wonderful way to loose customers and ruin a business. Which is why they are all doing so poorly. I will agree that most people aren't smart enough to think these things through when buying a car, but some of us do. I can tell you due to my bad experiences with cars, I wont buy a Honda, and I wont buy a GM. I probably wont buy a new DODGE because they are so screwie they don't know if they are coming or going. That is assuming they even survive past next year. That doesn't mean I don't love my DODGE, but that's the exception that proves the rule, as they say. I wouldn't buy a FORD either, but I bought a Mustang because I have always wanted one. Only live once you know, but I wouldn't buy any other FORD. Customer relations and satisfaction are very important, and my money is just as good any place else, so why give my money to a company that doesn't give a rat's a$$ about me?
so what would you buy? notta whole lotta choices left

Old 02-04-2010, 08:26 PM
TheGreatDrake

new physics scenario for you. you are at a red light with a car in front and someone slams you from behind with enough force to dislodge a few pieces from your dash. (most of my broken pieces are just kinda sitting there like a tragic jigsaw puzzle) these pieces would end up in your face in the time it takes you to hit the next car and have airbag deployment, and now you look like hannibal lecter got you. unlikely but possible, whats sad though is it would be considered an acceptable statistic and would be ignored by the company...because we all know its cheaper to pay off the disfigured victim that it would be to recall all of our dashes.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:32 PM
codyselcamino
Professional

on the airbag issue, they have sensors in the front like oren09 said, they trigger when they hit a certain g, ive seen an airbag go off in a jeep when he jumped a curb, ive also seen an airbag not go off when an audi rear ended a honda going 80, the honda was going 60, i cant believe none of you ever hear of the widow maker, the earlyer dodge airbags, they exploded with so much force it could kill you, i kinda agree with the ad, no not because of the sharp pieces but because of a sudden stop you could go forward (if your not wearing a set belt) and smash threw the dash, well even if your wearing a seat belt your head could go threw it, at least with the plastic there is some give, but the metal under neith there isnt, but dodge will never do anything about it its too late now

Old 02-05-2010, 01:29 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Not trying to get nasty here, but these are some pretty lame excuses for why the dash is a health hazard.

Originally Posted by TheGreatDrake
new physics scenario for you. you are at a red light with a car in front and someone slams you from behind with enough force to dislodge a few pieces from your dash. (most of my broken pieces are just kinda sitting there like a tragic jigsaw puzzle) these pieces would end up in your face in the time it takes you to hit the next car and have airbag deployment, and now you look like hannibal lecter got you.
You'd have to get rear ended so fast that the least of your worries would be some pieces of plastic from the dash giving you some cuts. A small "fender bender" will not have enough momentum to propel those pieces fast enough to fly far and hard enough to cut you. Forgetting those facts for a moment... if your dash is anywhere near the point that it flies apart on the slightest fender bender, thats your own fault for not fixing it as well as Dodge's for making it poorly. If I see a bare electrical wire in my house, do I wait until I electrocute myself, and then blame the electrician for crappy wiring or the maker of the wire for not making it very well? No. You fix the bare wire and blame the electrician. You see a potential hazard on your property, you find the person responsible. If they refuse to fix it, and there is no way for you to force them to fix it, you fix it yourself, and remember the episode next time you think about purchasing their products/services. Such is life.

Originally Posted by codyselcamino
on the airbag issue, they have sensors in the front like oren09 said, they trigger when they hit a certain g, ive seen an airbag go off in a jeep when he jumped a curb, ive also seen an airbag not go off when an audi rear ended a honda going 80, the honda was going 60, i cant believe none of you ever hear of the widow maker, the earlyer dodge airbags, they exploded with so much force it could kill you, i kinda agree with the ad, no not because of the sharp pieces but because of a sudden stop you could go forward (if your not wearing a set belt) and smash threw the dash, well even if your wearing a seat belt your head could go threw it, at least with the plastic there is some give, but the metal under neith there isnt, but dodge will never do anything about it its too late now
Smash through the dash? Really? You will fly through the windshield before you "smash through the dash." If the seat belt is functioning properly, you may possibly hit your steering wheel, but never come close to hitting the dash. You're really reaching here.

Last edited by jasonw; 02-05-2010 at 01:32 AM.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:28 AM
Formosa Joe
Amateur
Talking

Originally Posted by jasonw
if your dash is anywhere near the point that it flies apart on the slightest fender bender, thats your own fault for not fixing it as well as Dodge's for making it poorly.
Good points guys, but how can you fix something that Dodge has discontinued, has "0" stock available and refuses to remake? I would have gladly bought a new dash from Dodge, in fact, I've tried. There were NONE available in the whole USA and NONE ever going to be made again. I was lucky and found a parted out truck way up north and bought his dash. We are all just beating a dead horse here. Dodge will do nothing about the dashes, and never will, we just have to cover them and hope for a junker to showup with a good dash and be the first in line. I loved my 95, so much in fact, I am going to buy a 2001 this weekend, BROKEN DASH AND ALL. I LIKE DODGE TRUCKS!!

Old 02-05-2010, 10:54 AM
iwhitne
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dodge15004x45.9
Air bags go off over 5-15 mph.
Depends on what you hit...

Your Complaint Information is successfully submitted.
Your Confirmation number (ODI Number) is: 10306427

Filed... prolly won't do anything but I "voiced my concern"

I cut the back of my hand while cleaning the window.. which we all need to have clean windows to be safe... right? c'mon

Last edited by iwhitne; 02-05-2010 at 10:56 AM.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:09 AM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

where do they like to crack anyways? I'm proud to say that I still have an uncracked dash in my 98

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dodge May Start Dash Recall Soon