2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Answer to my RAM no power, no spark, no start ignition coil

Old 02-09-2016, 05:57 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,168 Likes on 2,922 Posts

And it still doesn't wanna start? How about if you just step lightly on the gas?

Old 02-09-2016, 06:32 PM
Lnwolf
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
And it still doesn't wanna start? How about if you just step lightly on the gas?
It seemed like it almost wanted to but the battery was low from all the cranking and my buddies's garage isn't heated so I stopped for the night I will keep you posted.

Old 02-14-2016, 01:02 PM
Lnwolf

Originally Posted by Lnwolf
It seemed like it almost wanted to but the battery was low from all the cranking and my buddies's garage isn't heated so I stopped for the night I will keep you posted.
Ok so we changed the plugs(6hours)and still no spark, put the old pick up coil back in and got spark,had to adjust the distributor a little bit and been running good ever since.

Old 02-14-2016, 06:31 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Then something else was going strange. The pickup coil in the distributor has nothing to do with spark. PCM uses it to control injector timing.......

Have a good long look at all the wires back there, and also might wanna pull the crank sensor, and see what it looks like.

Old 02-14-2016, 06:42 PM
Lnwolf

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Then something else was going strange. The pickup coil in the distributor has nothing to do with spark. PCM uses it to control injector timing.......

Have a good long look at all the wires back there, and also might wanna pull the crank sensor, and see what it looks like.
That's what I thought with the pick up coil the crank sensor is new as well yes I'm still confused as to the original issue as to why it wouldn't produce spark but for now I'll run with it but in the back of my mind I'm not out of the woods yet.

Old 01-15-2017, 04:08 PM
Ian Hanson

To the guy who's getting spark and fuel I would try deleting the cat in your exhaust when those get clogged you vehicle will start but only till there is to much back pressure the. It won't start again till the pressure is released slowly through the clogged cat

Old 01-15-2017, 04:24 PM
Ian Hanson
Default 99 Dakota no spark

Originally Posted by macplee
One day my 2001 Ram 2500 v8, 5.9 just stopped all of sudden and would not start up again. It would crank and crank, but it won't start. A few days later and much research and help from other experts from this site, here is my solution that got my truck running like new. Good
Fixed it today and here's what I learned that I hope will help
It was the Crank Position Sensor and it was a real pain in the xxx to remove and replace.

The position of it is right next to the engine exhaust block where it connects to the cat converter. The two bolts that holds the sensor is almost impossible to get. Definitely need extensions and GLOVES if you don't like to bleed much. The wire to the sensor as "zman17" say is also a real pain, it routes behind the distributor cap and practically behind the stereo of the truck, but on the other side of the firewall.

Now, this is what I found extremely helpful that helped me troubleshoot the problem.
• Crank sensor tells ECU when to spark
• Cam sensor tells ECU when to send fuel (injectors)

If the Crank sensor is bad, the computer will not ground the ignition coil wire, thus you will g

If the Cam sensor is bad, you will still get sparks and power to the ignitor but the engine likely will not start because it will tell th

To get the truck to display the trouble code without a OBDII, all you need to do is turn the key to the on position 3 times. On the 3rd time, the odometer will show your current milage then quickly change and it will show you the code.

Code P1388 = ASR error (Auto Stop Relay). The ignition coil is connected to the ASR and the computer controls the ASR so again, if the Crank sensor is bad, the computer will not let the ASR provide power to the ignition coil.

I really hope this will someone else out there. I am going to create another topic just to post this finding.

Many thanks to you all for your support and help.
Sorry cant figure out how to start a new thread
i just did a motor swap in my 98 Dakota hade it running and driving but then I had it idling went to get in and all a sudden felt like I just ran out of gas so I got gas in it and realized I have no spark changed the ecm changed router and cap pulled crank sensors to check for damage everything I've check even in the fuse box all checked out fine but I still have no spark any suggestions?

Old 01-15-2017, 04:25 PM
Ian Hanson
Default 99 Dakota no spark

Originally Posted by macplee
One day my 2001 Ram 2500 v8, 5.9 just stopped all of sudden and would not start up again. It would crank and crank, but it won't start. A few days later and much research and help from other experts from this site, here is my solution that got my truck running like new. Good
Fixed it today and here's what I learned that I hope will help
It was the Crank Position Sensor and it was a real pain in the xxx to remove and replace.

The position of it is right next to the engine exhaust block where it connects to the cat converter. The two bolts that holds the sensor is almost impossible to get. Definitely need extensions and GLOVES if you don't like to bleed much. The wire to the sensor as "zman17" say is also a real pain, it routes behind the distributor cap and practically behind the stereo of the truck, but on the other side of the firewall.

Now, this is what I found extremely helpful that helped me troubleshoot the problem.
• Crank sensor tells ECU when to spark
• Cam sensor tells ECU when to send fuel (injectors)

If the Crank sensor is bad, the computer will not ground the ignition coil wire, thus you will g

If the Cam sensor is bad, you will still get sparks and power to the ignitor but the engine likely will not start because it will tell th

To get the truck to display the trouble code without a OBDII, all you need to do is turn the key to the on position 3 times. On the 3rd time, the odometer will show your current milage then quickly change and it will show you the code.

Code P1388 = ASR error (Auto Stop Relay). The ignition coil is connected to the ASR and the computer controls the ASR so again, if the Crank sensor is bad, the computer will not let the ASR provide power to the ignition coil.

I really hope this will someone else out there. I am going to create another topic just to post this finding.

Many thanks to you all for your support and help.
i just did a motor swap in my 98 Dakota hade it running and driving but then I had it idling went to get in and all a sudden felt like I just ran out of gas so I got gas in it and realized I have no spark changed the ecm changed router and cap pulled crank sensors to check for damage everything I've check even in the fuse box all checked out fine but I still have no spark any suggestions?

Old 01-15-2017, 06:06 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Ian Hanson
Check the ASD relay in the power distribution box under the hood. Swap it out with one of the other relays. See if it'll start.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Answer to my RAM no power, no spark, no start ignition coil