2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Weird caliper??

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 04:17 PM
dbasmb
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird caliper??

I just put new brake pads in my 2001 and looking back on it, it was a little weird. I did the driver's side first - it went well, just like the manual (hurray for the link to the factory manual!). Upon installation of the caliper, the bottom of the caliper went into the adapter first and then the top swung into position just as described in the manual. When I did the passenger side, I had a heck of a time getting the caliper off but finally did, noting that I thought the bottom came out first then the top. Upon installation of the caliper, no way would the bottom go in first and swing in as did the other side. The manual said nothing about a different procedure for it. Finally I got it in by hooking the top first and then rotating it down. I figured all was well since that's how it came out. The test drive was perfect.

Last night in bed though I happen to realize that I think a driver's side caliper would fit on the passenger side except that the caliper would have to go in as I described. Is it possible that someone put in the wrong caliper (this is a new truck for me) or is that the way it is supposed to be??

It seems like the driver's side design is better since the nubs at the bottom hook in and hold the caliper from moving when brakes are applied while going forward while the top nub simply rests against the adapter. But on the passenger side, the nubs hook in at the top and the nub at the bottom doesn't not engage but just rests on the adapter, therefore not adding to the holding power.

Am I over analyzing this or do I have a problem? Also, the reason I suspect something is that the passenger side pads were significantly worn more that the driver's even though it does not pull when the brakes are applied.

What'ya think??

Thanks

Doug

Old 07-08-2009, 07:26 PM
Ram15002ndGen
Record Breaker

Dude, go back to sleep, you are WAYYYY over analyzing this. Some times you have to swing the caliper in whatever direction it takes to get it back in. It doesn't really matter as long as it went back in and it stops properly. Calipers are easy breasy. Brake Shoes, are much harder to do.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:17 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i wouldn't worry about it as long as it fits and operates right.

Old 07-17-2009, 07:09 PM
dblj16380
Veteran

What I would be concerned about if I were you is the caliper slide pins. If your passenger side pads were far worse than your drivers side then your pins may be sticking and causing un-even wear between the back pad and the front pad on that caliper.

I've never actually read the manual on how to do a brake job, just jumped in and made sure to do everything in reverse on re-install, but as long as it went in you should be good.

Old 07-17-2009, 07:50 PM
speedjester

Your setup is correct.. mine is the the exact same... driverside top slides out first.. passengerside botum slides out first.. go get some sleep...

Old 07-18-2009, 10:31 AM
dbasmb
Default Thanks

Thanks for all your help - It seems all is well even if I don't understand the design.

Thanks again!!

Doug

Old 07-18-2009, 05:38 PM
eaglestorm
Professional

Each side go's in diff but if you are replacing calipers the bleeder go on top. we had a tech that put them on the wrong sides (bleeder down) went through 1 gal of brake fulid could not get a good pedal be for he asked someone to look at it for him. after he turnd them around everthing was fine. we still razz him about it

Quick Reply: Weird caliper??