2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New tranny and now my truck runns like crap!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 08:42 PM
jsader79
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy New tranny and now my truck runns like crap!!!!

I have a 2001 3500 w/ cummins. i recently lost my tranny and had it rebuilt by a VERY respectable local tranny guy ( by that, I have used him SEVERAL times and never had any problems, and he seems to think it is something else since he had the truck for 3 weeks and could not figure anything out with the tranny)..... but anyways.... I had the tranny put in and now while Im driving my truck cant decide whether it wants to be in 3rd or OD. Wheen its cool its usually around 75-80 mph (empty).... If i have a gooseneck, its around 60.... Now on the other hand if its hot like today (103 degrees) but even at 90 degrees, you can for get about goin faster than 60 (empty) because the truck wont stay in OD. My tranny mechanic tried a new TPS and rebuilt the tranny again for me to make suresomething wasnt wrong. He also put another torque converter. He also took it to a friend that works at the dodge house and he wasnt sure either.... WHAT!!!! the dodge guy cant even figure it out!!!!! LOL..... I NEED MAJOR HELP!!!!!! ANYONE?!?!?!!?? I SERIOUSLY MISS MY TRUCK AND I WANT IT BACK!!!!!!

Old 06-28-2009, 09:05 PM
kev2
Veteran

THE DODGE tech troubleshooting with a DRBII should have ansered some questions.. we are sure that its a 4th and not a TCC problem? overdrive solenoid?

Is the tcm/pcm commanding the trans into OD or os there a reason tht OD is not being commanded.. what was temp sensor reporting?

Any codes? not all set the MIL.

would you agree saying -high temps no OD?

Last edited by kev2; 06-28-2009 at 09:10 PM.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:29 PM
jsader79

It goes into overdrive fine... It just doesnt stay... what do you mean a TCC problem? dont know what tcc is. sorry

Also no codes are being thrown.

Temp is running around 190-200

Old 06-29-2009, 02:28 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

is that trans temp or engine temp? the transmission shouldn't get over 176º. when the transmission overheats it will kick out of overdrive and stay out till it cools down. you could try an aftermarket cooler to see if that will do the trick but first you ought to make sure that the temp sensor on the transmission is working correctly.

Old 06-29-2009, 03:01 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jsader79
I have a 2001 3500 w/ cummins. i recently lost my tranny and had it rebuilt by a VERY respectable local tranny guy ( by that, I have used him SEVERAL times and never had any problems, and he seems to think it is something else since he had the truck for 3 weeks and could not figure anything out with the tranny)..... but anyways.... I had the tranny put in and now while Im driving my truck cant decide whether it wants to be in 3rd or OD. Wheen its cool its usually around 75-80 mph (empty).... If i have a gooseneck, its around 60.... Now on the other hand if its hot like today (103 degrees) but even at 90 degrees, you can for get about goin faster than 60 (empty) because the truck wont stay in OD. My tranny mechanic tried a new TPS and rebuilt the tranny again for me to make suresomething wasnt wrong. He also put another torque converter. He also took it to a friend that works at the dodge house and he wasnt sure either.... WHAT!!!! the dodge guy cant even figure it out!!!!! LOL..... I NEED MAJOR HELP!!!!!! ANYONE?!?!?!!?? I SERIOUSLY MISS MY TRUCK AND I WANT IT BACK!!!!!!
As far as why it won't say in OD when you're empty, not sure. Perhaps a cooling line is plugged or something and it can't stay cool, which forces it to turn off O/D automatically.

However, I do know for sure that towing anything with OD on will ruin your OD unit and/or transmission eventually. OD was designed for empty, unloaded operation only.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:46 AM
kev2
Veteran

jsader79 - something seams missing....trying to put diplomaticly- trans shop AND the dealer tech BOTH have put a DRBII* on this vehicle and driven it?

tool* is expensive not common and would give a "inside" look at what is happening- trans temp. PCM commands- solenoids - etc.

* trans capable bi directional scanner, with cummins specs?

PS: TCC is Torque Converter Clutch the converter "lock up" SOMETIMES the drop in RPM isnot seen and confused for 4th gear inop.

Last edited by kev2; 06-29-2009 at 08:51 AM.
Old 06-29-2009, 02:01 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

need more info.

Old 07-18-2009, 06:44 PM
jsader79
Smile

Ok sorry havent had time to reply.

Yes, the dodge house and the tranny shop I use put the DRBII on the truck and could not find anything. Also I asked the tranny guy and he said he did try a new TCC and it didnt fix it. The flushed my tranny cooling system and my trans temp runs between 165 and 175. UUUMMMMMMM lets se what else can I tell you? Not much else I can say. Ask and I will get an answer...lol

Quick Reply: New tranny and now my truck runns like crap!!!!