2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

for those that have dealt with AC issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 03:12 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

None of the components except for the evaporator are in the dash, there are no seals or anything except for that. And like I said in other threads, if you don't have a manifold set of good gauges, then it's a waste of time to try and diagnose the problem.

Old 07-12-2009, 03:29 PM
Ram15002ndGen
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be getting a set in the very near future. When I get the gauges and set them up, what do you suggest I should be looking for?

Old 07-12-2009, 03:40 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

They will come with some directions hopefully, but now you will no what the high side pressure is, along with knowing what the true low side reading is.

Old 07-12-2009, 04:02 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 07-12-2009, 10:44 PM
topsites
Professional

Originally Posted by Ram15002ndGen
I will be getting a set in the very near future. When I get the gauges and set them up, what do you suggest I should be looking for?
I would suggest getting a set of gauges that are not only specifically made for this...
But like the ones I have, it's 3 gauges thou the center one is useless (at least to me).
Anyhow the gauge dial is COLORED so I don't have to remember the actual PSI's...

Now I'll show you an example but remember this:
You will be filling the Freon through the LOW side!!!
The gauge I'm about to show is also for the LOW side!!!
You want a 'set' where at least one tube and gauge connects to the HIGH side!!!

It's a whole lot easier to have one connected to the high side while refilling through the low,
if all you have is a low side gauge then you have to guess in between filling up freon, will more fit?

Here's an example Low-side gauge:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=95808
See the blue area goes from 25 to 45 psi, that is your COOL zone (where your
system will cool best, too much is no better than not enough).

Now on a high side gauge, the blue zone will likely be in the range of 250-300 psi.
Or thereabouts, yes that's a TON of pressure, it can be dangerous.
So keep in mind you do NOT want to (dis)connect a high side gauge when the system is running!
Instead, shut it down and wait for the pressure to equalize throughout the system, takes about 1-2 minutes,
once the pressure has settled it will only have about 90 psi on the high side.
When it's equalized is really the only time you want to (dis)connect a gauge to/from that side.
Also, after the system has ran for some time, if a gauge has been connected to the high side be CAREFUL!!!
The silly little brass connector will be VERY HOT!!!
Use a rag to pull it off, after shutting down the system and waiting 1-2 minutes.

You really want both gauges also, both the low and the high.
Because there are times you will want both connected, it can help you troubleshoot later.
They sell these Low+High as a kit, it's not cheap but it's some of the best money I ever spent.
Might save your life, but never mind that, I never work on my car's a/c without the gauges.

Peace

Last edited by topsites; 07-12-2009 at 10:53 PM.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:30 PM
Ram15002ndGen
Record Breaker

Yea, I have a low side gauge and I have found that the low side alone is just not enough. These are the gauges I am looking at http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=92649 I looked around and they are about the average in the low end prices. Best thing is I can drive over and pick them up at the store instead of having it shipped from an internet site. If they crap out, I can just return them.

I was also thinking of getting this: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=96677 in case I have to purge the system. I have a compressor, so I guess I just hook it up to that and let it run.

Old 07-13-2009, 02:11 AM
dodgeram2001
Professional

THATS A GOOD IDEA I WILL LOOK INTO THAT NOW ..THANKS.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:20 PM
dieselndixie

so all I need to know is this.

when I add the refridg, since it is so low the compressor wont turn on, do I need to "trick" the compressor into coming on with the wire connector trick on the accumulator before I fill? the compressor clutch only turns on and off if I dont put a wire jumper in the accumulator...then it will run. is that what I need to do before I fill it/check level?

without wire jumper, it reads full...but no compressor running

with wire jumper, it reads empty, and compressor runs..

Old 07-22-2009, 10:25 PM
DartRamRoush

Check the crappy poly tube lines that control your pneumatic damper doors. Under engine load (weak vacuum) the door goes shut yielding no ac!!!

I have seen this on two trucks now. The factory routing and lack of vac. Line support eats the vac. Line(s) and you lose climate control. These lines are by the firewall on the passenger-side. A small hole will cause a lot of problems.

Just a thought.

Old 07-22-2009, 11:02 PM
dieselndixie

man, im sorry, I just dont know jack about this...can you give more specifics on what I can check or do...I am stuck having to do this myself, and dont know exactly what you are telling me to check

thanks

Quick Reply: for those that have dealt with AC issues