2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Jet Hot vs. Armor Coat? (headers)

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 12:35 PM
Mike Roma
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jet Hot vs. Armor Coat? (headers)

Advice?

I'm going to buy some Pacesetter Long Tube headers. I can buy from Summit and get the standard Armor Coat silver ceramic coating, OR...

I can order from Jet Hot and get the Sterling EXTREME for a bit more $.

Is Jet Hot much better? After talking to the sales guy on the phone, I'm a little skeptical. Are they just going to send me standard Pacesetter ceramic? The part number is the SAME.
Also, they refuse to honor the online $50 coupon they have on their website. Left me a bit... disappointed.

Summit... ~$458.
Jet Hot EXTREME... ~$521.
(Jet Hot Sterling Silver... ~$471.)

I don't mind spending the extra if it's worth it. My truck is in great condition, and I plan to keep it long term. Anyone here have experience with either coating?

Is Jet Hot really going to provide a better product?

Old 07-14-2009, 02:00 PM
Ugly1
Record Breaker
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Probably wont even notice unless you are racing or something. I like some kind of a coating though to prevent rust but chrome/nickel plating will do that too. Paint is lame and burns off immediately. That Jet Hot company is local for me and my dirt bking and autocross and rallying budies all swear by them.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:22 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Any ceramic coating will keep the heat in the headers and not in the engine bay and retard rust and corrosion. Pacesetter's coating should be fine if you're not building a competition drag truck.

Old 07-14-2009, 05:01 PM
gipperkid
Veteran

I got a set of Pacesetter shorties, and Jet-Hot quoted $234 for the sterling silver. Not bad I thought, especially when the headers were free!

Old 07-16-2009, 10:29 AM
Mike Roma
Professional

Thanks, guys.
I'll probably just order them from Summit. There's a 3 week wait from Jet Hot.

Does anyone know if Pacesetter coats the inside of the headers, as well as the outside?

Old 07-16-2009, 12:56 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

If you can swing it and have one near you, consider buying the headers in plain stainless steel and having a local coating shop do the ceramic coating, inside AND out.
That's the route I took, used a shop about 30 miles away that was highly recommended by my local performance shop.

Best move I ever made and only added about $100 to the total cost had I gotten the Pacesetters with their factory ceramic coat.

Best coating I've ever seen and three years on the truck, they still look like the day I put them on. REALLY keeps the internal engine compartments a lot cooler too...

Old 07-16-2009, 01:10 PM
DODGEPWR
Veteran

Any downsides to using header wrap to keep temps down? Besides not looking as good as it would without the wrap. Never used header wrap before. I know ill be getting headers for my truck eventually and wanted to know.

Old 07-16-2009, 02:02 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i bought the cerimi9c pacesetter longtubes and there fine , look brand new evrey time i pop the hood , worth the money

Old 07-16-2009, 04:45 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Header wrap can cause rusting/pitting/leaks as they retain moisture on cooldown and damp days. No company will honor their warranty if they know you used header wrap on their headers.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:22 PM
RM_Indy
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wasnt sure if Pacesetter coated inside or not and if the coating was any good. Got the painted ones and took them to Fireball Coatings up here. They coated inside and out and polish the outside. Also got the XMC 3stg coating on the inside that is suppose to reduce heat 60-70% instead of the 30-40% of ceramic only. They cleaned up the 2nd o2 bung I added (sloppy welding) and added flanges to the collectors as well. Werent cheap but do look great. Felt it was important to have the better coatings with hp level Im going for.

Quick Reply: Jet Hot vs. Armor Coat? (headers)