2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

need suggestions: valve cover for 1.6 ratio rocker arms (5.9L)

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 01:20 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by szarin
Aim4squirrels you rock dude. Nice call on the valve covers! They still had a couple left and i was able to buy injectors for $8 bucks each!

Sure beats spending $249 on the valve covers. I could overnight a case of beer to ya and still spend less on valve covers, beer, freight, cap, and baffle lol...

Szarin,

I might want to add you'll need to buy the grommets for those VC's too as the aluminum covers are much thicker. Call mancini back and have them added if you haven't yet.

I also bought the chrome Mopar push in breather cuz I thought it was the nutz, probably added like 5HP, LOL

both are here: http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/vacoha.html

Old 07-17-2009, 01:26 PM
szarin
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stock sized rocker arms? I doubt the factory valve covers will fit. I would call Mancini Racing and order a set of the Mopar performance valve covers they are the "tall" version that should clear almost any rocker arms.

$89 bucks is just for the valve covers, you will have to order a two of oil caps from Mancini Racing as well. They are like $8.. The only thing left after that is the baffle kit from APS Precision.

The only thing i never found out is if the valve covers from Mancini Racing come with screws to attach the baffles with... hmmmm... crap...

Let me take a picture of my engine and show you what i've done.

I know i went overboard with the silicone on pics 2 and 6 hehehe, better safe than sorry

On a side note, i am very impressed with the port matching that Edelbrock did with their Performer heads. I was reading an article last night, the Performer heads have a 29% better airflow than stock on the intake and 26% better airflow on the exhaust over stock heads. And they weigh 25 lbs lighter per head... that's 50 lbs total, that's a nice bonus for this swap.

Last edited by szarin; 07-17-2009 at 01:30 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:40 PM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

szarin that looks sexy. Who makes them RR's?

My rockers are made totally different so maybe I'll get lucky. I got mine used. Heres a pic installed on the guys engine before I got them.

I don't think they are as thich as yours. Also they don't have the nut sticking out of the top.

Heres a crappy pic of my painted VC

Name:  IMG00345.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  76.6 KB

I think thats a newer pic. I had to repaint them cause I ran out of paint and the new stuff I got was darker lol

Old 07-17-2009, 01:56 PM
szarin
Rookie

Do you have stock cylinder heads? If so you might have the clearance because the rocker arms are pedestal mounted. I went with the Edelbrock Performer heads which basically have a chevy small block design. (i have more options for parts this way). The Edelbrock Performer heads are a direct bolt on for the 5.9L Magnum however the Rocker arms are 3/8 stud mounted.

That is the difference between our two setups, you will probably be lucky because your rocker arms will sit lower than mine. I didnt realize you had stock heads.

As for as who makes them, probably a bunch of Chinese kids lol... The company is called PSP... i think. I had two choices from my speed shop buy the Scorpion Rocker arms for $387 or the PSP ones for $197. The guy at the speed shop said they were the same design, made from the same metal, even took out the scorpion and the psp to show me. They were pretty damn close. The only thing i noticed was the oiling hole on the psp was about 1/8" lower.

The scorpion ones looked cooler though, they had the scorpion logo engraved into rocker hehe. Looking back, i probably should of got the scorpion ones lol...

Last edited by szarin; 07-17-2009 at 02:01 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 02:01 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend

my covers from manicini had self tapping screws and oil control baffles, but the baffles were small and didn't run the length of the cover. I've heard that they don't really keep the oil from leaking from the oil caps, breather hole, and PCV grommet.

I hope that ultra copper works for you on the Headers, it didn't hold up to the heat at the collectors for me.

Old 07-17-2009, 02:02 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

szarin, that looks awesome.

My valve covers leaked out of the grommets and fill cap until I got the baffle kit. It took care of it. I recommend it for sure.

Here's what the shaft mounted Harland Sharp rockers look like fwiw, and the last picture is with the valve cover we are talking about.

Last edited by Silver_Dodge; 06-04-2013 at 01:05 AM.
Old 07-17-2009, 02:05 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend

Silver,

That might be the dirtiest I've ever seen your engine bay, minus the mudding pics.

Old 07-17-2009, 02:09 PM
szarin
Rookie

yah, i asked the guys about that, they said it would, i was doubtful. If not i guess i will have to find another silicone for extremely high temps.

One problem i noticed with the headers, is that it is extremely difficult to get a socket in there for the proper torque settings. They are listed at 25, its not much but difficult with any size ratchet.

I called Art back at Mancini Racing - ordered the baffle kit so it comes with screws - it was 8 bucks lol... and also got the rubber gromets. At this point i've thrown everything from the old engine out because i cant use it lol... cam, crank, pistons, valve covers, flex plate, torque converter... this is making me sad lol.. gonna stop now...

Aim4squirrels - Those are stock injectors, 18lbs. At that price i couldnt pass them up, i eventually want to upgrade my injectors but as i said i am way over budget at this point. I really didnt want to put the old injectors with 183,000 kms... err sorry 114,000 miles... on them. They are so easy to swap out, it doesnt make any sense using the old ones.

Last edited by szarin; 07-17-2009 at 02:22 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 02:17 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels
Silver,

That might be the dirtiest I've ever seen your engine bay, minus the mudding pics.
Ya I know. I had greasy hands from working on the intake that day, you can see where I touched my headers. After I was done with the upgrade (that was when I put my modded kegger on), I shined it up again though.

It's really dirty now though, I haven't cleaned it since last year. I usually give it a good cleaning after winter is over and i'm done driving in snow/slush, but life has been to hectic for me to do anything but drive my truck. I need to give it a full bath. Interior is a mess right now too.

Old 07-17-2009, 03:03 PM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well they are the HD heads but are still stock design. I wish I would have know my engine was gonna take so long. I could have gotten the better heads that Aim has. I think it was silver that had them first wasn't it? I thought they were opened up a little better then stock but maybe not I have no idea. These heads were WAY cheaper then the Eddy's. Plus Edelbrock's website says them heads are not for emission controlled vehicles. I didn't want to take the chance getting them and failing emissions. I'm scared enough with all the other work and parts its getting.

On a side note I called the guy yesterday. He was always saying couple more weeks. Yesterday he said "its here I need to get it done for you give me another week and call back" I HOPE its done. I need to get it done before it gets cold, I want it for the winter, and pc goes back to school in a month and he's gonna help me get it back together.

Quick Reply: need suggestions: valve cover for 1.6 ratio rocker arms (5.9L)