2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need help quick!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 09:11 PM
hammer_down
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help quick!

so my truck crapped out and i have to work early in the am...i have a ride tomorrow, but would like to resolve the issue badly seeing as how it is MY only vehicle....so here goes:

99 dodge sport with a 5.9L and 4x4...it isnt wanting to start, it will fully crank but just not turn over and stay running (the wheels spinnin, but the hampsters dead, as my old man would say) it will turn over and run noiw that i cleaned the TB real good and if i spray carb cleaner into the throttle body and the butterflies have to be wide open and cleaner being blasted in, and even then it sounds labored...im just lookin for a next step in diagnosing this problem....fuel rail then back to the filter? or plugs/wires distributor? it has been taking a few exrta turnovers to start lately too if that helps...also a guy in the body shop i work at said chrysler use alot of key signals....and to try and cycle the key a few times before starting it, and that DID help it would fire right up...but now she's dead. we're justdumb body guys so who knows about that

THANKS in advance
-Josh

Old 07-19-2009, 09:54 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You need to figure out how to put a coherent post together. Are you trying to start the truck by spraying carb cleaner into the TB? That's nuts.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:58 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by Miami_Son
You need to figure out how to put a coherent post together. Are you trying to start the truck by spraying carb cleaner into the TB? That's nuts.
10000+ Keep spraying carb cleaner in the TB, hell go for ether next time. Your gonna sneeze it.

Old 07-19-2009, 10:00 PM
Ram15002ndGen
Record Breaker

Either the plugs are fouled and may need cleaning, or your cat is pooped. Get under there and bang the **** out of it and see if it rattles. TPS may be really dirty. Make sure all three sensors on the TB are properly hooked up, no loose connections. It will always sound like crap when you are shooting carb cleaner in there.

Old 07-19-2009, 10:41 PM
hammer_down

sorry for the way the first post read, im sorry...yea i was trying to get it to kick over with carb cleaner, my reason being that if would kick over with some help it wasnt getting enough fuel... and thanks to one guy above me willing to add some helpful insight...ill check that stuff after work tomorrow i guess, thanks again

Old 07-20-2009, 12:28 AM
97black_ram
Captain

So let me get this straight. The engine cranks and doesn't start but will run poorly if you spray carb cleaner in the TB.

I would rent a fuel pressure gauge from the local parts store and check your fuel pressure. If you have good fuel pressure then check for spark maybe a dead coil. Or like Ram1500 said check the sensors like tps, map sensor or IAC sensor.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:00 AM
04 neon
Rookie

Originally Posted by 97black_ram
So let me get this straight. The engine cranks and doesn't start but will run poorly if you spray carb cleaner in the TB.

I would rent a fuel pressure gauge from the local parts store and check your fuel pressure. If you have good fuel pressure then check for spark maybe a dead coil. Or like Ram1500 said check the sensors like tps, map sensor or IAC sensor.
That's how I would aproach it too, If it'll run on carb cleaner but not without it sounds like a bad fuel pump

Old 07-20-2009, 01:45 AM
Miami_Son
Banned

Funny, but when I spray carb cleaner into a running engine it wants to stall. Not sure why you guys think it would work the other way around.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:50 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Grab a Haynes manual and test the sensors (as someone already suggested), test your fuel pressure (as someone else already described), and go from there. The Haynes describes how to do all that and more.

Its not the end all to problems, but it at least helps you eliminate the obvious.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:58 AM
97black_ram
Captain

Originally Posted by Miami_Son
Funny, but when I spray carb cleaner into a running engine it wants to stall. Not sure why you guys think it would work the other way around.
I know what your saying because I did it just yesterday with a at least a 1/2 can. I guess I have it a little backwards, it was a long day.

Quick Reply: Need help quick!