2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

lowering question

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 11:55 PM
beaver2low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lowering question

i want to lower my truck another three inches on top of the three inches already on there. i want to use a airbag drop so i can still have ground clearance when i need it. what would everyone suggest on this idea of what i want to do?

Old 07-20-2009, 12:25 AM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well, how is it lowered right now?

Old 07-20-2009, 03:01 AM
helms
All Star

depending on how the truck is lowered now, you may ending up tossing everything out and starting from scratch.
you would most definatly need to notch the frame (maybe even a monster notch) and do a flip kit on monoleafs (or spend the time and money to four link it) and just use the bags for springs instead of the leafs. in the front i would source out some good drop spindles and use bags in place of the coils.
this is kind of the cheap way of doing it. the more money you want to spend, the better the result will be. there are many geometry issues when dealing with "variable" ride heights. so either do your homework or pay someone to do it for you.

Last edited by helms; 07-20-2009 at 03:03 AM.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:20 AM
beaver2low

it looks like a drop kit at three inches. i looked it up on line

Old 07-20-2009, 01:09 PM
helms
All Star

threre are many different ways to lower your truck. 3" is pretty basic. so saying its a drop "kit" is pretty genaric. in the rear it could be shackles, springs, flip kit (although that would probobly net more than 3") or any comonation of the three. the front could be, spindles, springs, control arms or, again, any combo of them.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:33 AM
beaver2low

idk for sure. i was talkin with the owner of lowcos c.c. here in spokane and he told me that he would have to fab up the rear end to be able to put the bags on the rear. kinda like what lowriders do with there hydrolics int e back.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:00 AM
helms
All Star

the best way to do it would be a fourlink and notch. not the cheapest, but simple and quality.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:00 AM
Sawed Up

If I were you I would do some research before deciding to go with bags. (streetsource.com) There are a lot of things which will need to be moved, modified and built. You will require good fabricating and or welding skills. Require a place to work on the truck. Consider prices of compressors, plumbing, brackets, bags, link. You can buy kits, but sometimes it is better to piece your kit together. Depending what you are going to do with the truck and exactly how low you want to go. Lower you go the more work and fabin you will be into. Or like helms said pay someone.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:30 PM
Trey318
Captain

They make bolt on kits and weld on kits. Try http://airbagit.com, or http://www.ridetech.com/index2.html

Both make quality kits. Chassistech (airbagit) is probably cheaper, expecially for the weld on kit. Whereas Air Ride Technologies (ridetech) is a little more distinguished.

Bagging is a very involved modification. Its rather expensive even to do it yourself. Kits usually range from 2-3k, and I know shops would want many hours to install it.

Old 07-23-2009, 03:19 AM
Sawed Up

I would be careful purchasing from airbagit.com/chassistech. I have heard they have bad customer service. I am in the middle of baggin my ranger. Very involved and not cheap. Everything tends to have the snowball effect.

Quick Reply: lowering question