2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

*Rough* Idle and at lower speeds

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 08:28 AM
AzRam1820
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question *Rough* Idle and at lower speeds

I just bought this truck: 1995 Ram 1500 2x4 V6 5Spd

Truck just rolled over 145k mi, seems to run well except a couple of (what seem to be) minor issues. Hoping to get some input from other owners - maybe you've experienced similar??

Upon start-up:
Truck *shakes* - enough to make the hardtop shell rattle against the bed. It does this regardless of gear, neutral position, etc. Seems to improve around 15-20MPH. (not going away alltogether until around 40MPH)

While driving:
Similar issue in that while at lower speeds the truck still shakes. Was hard to tell driving home last night but a possible whining noise? The vibration goes away at speeds over 40MPH or so, but it does seem rather sluggish in 5th gear, even at speeds over 70MPH.

I should add that the longer the trip, the better it gets - say I drive 50 miles, and then let it idle at the destination - the shake isn't nearly as bad.

Any suggestions? Plan on doing a tune up, as I was provided the service records for the vehicle and it seems there hasn't been one done in the last 40-50K mi, and considering taking it to see if its throwing any codes - but other than that just curious to see if this is a common problem? Maybe I'm going in the wrong direction here?

You'll have to forgive me - I'm not extremely adept in this area, so this may seem like an ignorant question.

The shake feels like a rythmic rocking...

Old 07-21-2009, 08:35 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

If you have a manual(like Haynes) and a voltmeter, test the TPS. Also remove the TB and all the sensors from it and clean it. Then clean the IAC, let it dry and reinstall everything. Give it a try.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:01 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i'd guess either IAC or maybe a misfire on a plug or two. if it were a misfire due to fouling then the higher rpms would compensate for the one cylinder not firing right i would think. clean your iac and check your plugs/wires/dist cap. if you rev the engine does it backfire? or if you are cruising at high rpms and push in the clutch or let off the gas with the clutch engaged does the truck cackle and backfire?

as far as the shakes/vibration/whine under 40 i would think gears in the rear end. if you are in need of a differential fluid change then it would be good to go ahead and do that and inspect the gears in there while you have the cover off.

changing the tranny fluid would be good to do also since its been 40-50k. if you change it then check the fluid for a burnt smell or metal shavings. the 5 speeds aren't as touchy as the automatics but you still don't want them getting too hot.

Last edited by Sheriff420; 07-21-2009 at 09:05 AM.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:55 AM
AzRam1820
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the suggestions - will be sure to put those on the to-do list.

There is no backfiring at all. Other than this issue the truck seems to run swimingly. Should be able to try tackling some of these things later this week or over the weekend.

Is it really worth removing and cleaning as opposed to replacing? Seems the OEM parts are pretty reasonable on Ebay ($40-50 shipped)

Old 07-22-2009, 09:19 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

It's just a money thing, I usually try to recommend the cheaper route first. On the other hand, if you do replace a part and it doesn't help, I always put the old back in and save the new for toubleshooting purposes the next time something happens.

Quick Reply: *Rough* Idle and at lower speeds