2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

new guy with a couple questions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 05:35 PM
cool hand luke
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new guy with a couple questions?

ok. this is my first post and im excited to hear from you guys. i have a 98 5.2 with an air raid cold air intake and tb spacer. ive got an msd 6al2 with blaster coil, and a hypertech tuner. im currently running a 160 thermostat. it works fine, but i was gonna put on a hughes fi airgap manifold and wanted to know if i might hit any problems. or any problems in general with such a cold thermostat.

and injectors???? whats all this i hear about using 4.7 injectors. whats the logic there? i was gonna go with some accel 30# injectors. opinions?

Old 07-23-2009, 05:48 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the 160 t-stat is likely to throw a code, p1281, engine cold for too long. if it doesn't thats great but i'd be surprised. cooler doesn't hurt anything, its just contrary to emissions reduction and peak mpg.

i don't see any problem with the hughes intake, its as good as it gets.

tb spacer is a waste of money, since the injectors are directly in the cylinder ports.

i don't know anything about the injectors. i suppose bigger is better as long as they are not too big. you might need a different engine tuner with those, i don't know.

Old 07-23-2009, 06:41 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i believe the 160 will kill your mileage and cause spark plug issues (like detonation or fouling) if you don't have a colder heat range plug like the rc9yc(i'm not sure about the letters but the 9 is the heat range)

Old 07-23-2009, 10:35 PM
cool hand luke
Rookie

ive got platinum autolites on there and i havent noticed any plug fouling, it might be because of the msd. and i dont get any codes. my scanner says the loop is opening and closing fine. the coolant temp never reaches more than 170. i see what your saying about the mileage, but i am actually still getting 13.5 mpg. which is only .5 off from what i got before. and im actually just trying to find better performing injectors that wont strangle my mileage.

Old 07-24-2009, 01:13 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Better performing injectors? The stock injectors are good for up to something like 350-400 HP, IIRC. They are plenty, rated at 23.2 lb/hr (1996-2002 5.2L and 5.9L V8s).

The 4.7 injectors can inject a bit more fuel (not sure on the exact rating, however), thats why some discuss the change or do it. They are supposedly the exact same fit and electrical plug as our injectors.

If you go with much over stock, you will need to reprogram your PCM somehow, as it is designed with 23.2 in mind. A SCT tuner with custom tune might be able to do that, however.

Last edited by jasonw; 07-24-2009 at 01:15 AM.
Old 07-24-2009, 01:24 AM
cool hand luke
Rookie

but will the high performance injectors just splooge fuel all the time or only under full throttle? cause i would love to try to salvage at least a little mileage in my quest for gut wrenching power

Quick Reply: new guy with a couple questions?