2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1999 Ram 1500 go KABOOM

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 01:03 AM
dothedeww
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Ram 1500 go KABOOM

So ive got a 99 Ram 1500 4x4...105000...lost 1st gear about 6 months ago...it doesnt get driven much...just sits around chilling. Recently had my other car crack a radiator..so while im waiting for that ive been driving the ram.

So im dirving tonight...pull into a parking spot...come back outside..and tada..no reverse. have to have people push it out of the spot and then i drive off. So it runs fine...reverse magically comes back.

Then it starts to rain...and this thing doesnt have the greatest of tires as it is. Im driving down the highway....around 50mph....and the RPM's spike and the truck goes sideways...i save it and straighten it out.....the RPM's spiked like it found 1st gear again or soemthing...not like the tires were spinning.

so i keep on driving....going down the road about 55mph and the RPMs drop from 2500 to 0...great...as im entering a turn. I fight the wheel since its so easy to turn once you lose power. lol I get it into nuetral and refire it...no problem at all. All gauges check out alright.

I pull up to the stoplight..and smell burnt tranny fluid...cant find it leaking anywhere..and its dark so i just drove the 1 mile home and parked it. When the sun comes up tommrow ill check it out to see what happened.

So any idea what could have caused this? Or was it just teh tranny finally calling it quits. (yes it still drives...but with a loud squealing...sounds like torque converter squeeling).

any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks. and this truck is most likely a junker anyway...but im curious to know what would have caused the truck to lose sudden power.

Old 07-25-2009, 12:40 AM
dothedeww

bump bump

Old 07-25-2009, 12:56 AM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Damn! Sucks to be you.

Old 07-25-2009, 06:34 AM
Twisted Metal
Captain

Loss of power? How about your transmission converting itself from a functioning unit to a very large paperweight. And I will bet if you continue to drive it, rebuilding will be easier, as all the internal parts will fit loosely into a 5 gallon bucket.

Quick Reply: 1999 Ram 1500 go KABOOM