2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Looking to add to my 1500, SUGGESTIONS??!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 11:15 PM
98RamTough
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to add to my 1500, SUGGESTIONS??!

Hey guys, well the title pretty much says it all...

I was wanting to add some stuff to my 98 Ram, and I don't really want performance mods right now.

I was wanting to get a sound system or something..

I found some cool sidewinders, 3rd brake light cover, stuff like that on AutoTruckToys.com and was basically just wanting some suggestions on what is bad *** nowdays. ha

If you know a lot about subwoofers, amps, boxes etc, please let me know what all would be good and would fit under the back seat of an extended cab. I dont necessarily want something that's going to be the loudest thing ever, just enough to notice..

Soo just any suggestions or if anyone finds some cool products and would like to share that'd be cool.

Thanks

Old 07-24-2009, 11:31 PM
95MaroonMonster
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the search feature is your best friend n00b

Old 07-25-2009, 03:32 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Welcome. As Maroon said, the search feature would be handy for this, as this has already been discussed many times.

Your stock speakers are 6x9s in the front doors and 5.25" in the rears, if you have a quad cab. I replaced my stock speakers with Infinity References of the same size. If I could go back and do it over, I'd adapt the front 6x9s to 6.5" Infinity Kappas and the rears to 6.5" Infinity Kappas. Easily doable. However, I already have mine all setup and paid for, so I'll leave it until something blows.

Also, Pioneer makes some of the best aftermarket head units if you are planning on a simple setup. If you want to go the whole route with subs, amps, etc. the way it sounds like you are might be planning, I'd also look at Alpine head units.

I'd also suggest creating a signature with either a cardomain link or info on your truck, so we can tell exactly what you have to exactly answer your questions.

Old 07-25-2009, 08:25 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

alpine head unit and door speakers. 1 kicker l7 12" sub with a power acoustik amp and you'll be happy. sometimes you can find speaker boxes on ebay that are made to fit under the back seat of the rams. with any sub you get you will have to read the manual to see what the optimum air space is for it. if you have a box thats too big or too small the sub won't perform as good as it should.

Old 07-25-2009, 09:35 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What kind of music do you listen to? Do you like bass? These are all questions you need to be asking yourself.
If you listen to rock, classic rock, country, heavy rock, and things of the likes, you need to look at 10" woofers. If you listen to rap, pop, industrial, things of that nature, then you need to look at 12" woofers.
As Jason said, Pioneer makes damn good entry level head units. Pioneer is what I run.
Now, when looking at your door/wall speakers, you need to ask yourself, do I like extra bass? A round speaker is going to handle more bass on it's own than an oblong speaker will. If your installing woofers, I don't think you need to worry about converting the front speakers to a 6 1/2" speaker.
If your going to be adding woofers, another thing you need to consider is the low/mid/high capacity of your door/wall speakers. With woofers in your truck, you shouldn't worry too much about your door and wall speakers having a good low range. It's redundant.
This is my current setup.
2 6x9 Infinity Kappa Perfects- Doors
2 6x9 Infinity Kappa perfects- Under the seats
2 6 1/2" Infinity Kappa Rear wall/doors if you have a quad cab.
2 10" Eclipse Woofers 500W
The four 6x9's are being pushed by an Eclipse 800W amp 4 channel
The back 6 1/2" kappas are currently running off of the H/U until I install a 3rd amp.
The woofers are being pushed by a 1000W Kenwood Class D Amp.
Personally, I don't think that converting the rear door/wall mounts from a 5 1/4" to a 6 1/2" is worth it in the long run. You must drill holes in your truck, and I don't like that. Also on the older rams, you might have to grind down a little flange on the metal of the cab. Personally, I don't like doing this, even though I did.
Never forget, do not ever ever ever cheap out on your wiring. Using the stock wires, or using a cheap automotive store wire, can ruin a system's overall sound quality.
IMO, Monster and Stinger are about the best in the business at the moment.

Another optional idea is to completely remove all of your seats and carpet, so you can install a sound deadening material. This will help lower powered systems sound their best by not allowing the sound to escape.

Another after thought: If your going to get into this as heavily as some of us have, you might want to look into to either buying a gel celled battery(like optima), upgrading your alternator, going to a dual battery, or all of the above. With what all I have right now, I am going through 1000CCA Batteries about every 3 months. Granted these are the cheapo Neverstarts, but I am on the lifetime warranty campaign with walmart. All that is, is just them replacing it under warranty, and stamping the new month and year on the battery every time I exchange it.

Welcome to the forums.

Last edited by Laramie1997; 07-25-2009 at 09:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Looking to add to my 1500, SUGGESTIONS??!