2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:02 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

What are ways to increase your MPG?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 10:58 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
Get a small, used car like a First Generation VW Jetta. The diesel will get upward of 40mpg. Use that as a daily driver rather than the Dodge.
That's what I did. My Suzuki Swift gets around 47 mpg. I only paid $1500 for it, and I drive it to work and back 4 to 5 days a week. It paid for itself in the first 6 months I owned it from the savings I had on gas. So now when I drive the truck the rest of the time, I could care less what kind of MPG's it gets because the Swift more then makes up for it. My truck gets about 10-12, and that's driving it hard and having fun with it, which is why I have it and why I built it up the way i like it. If I had to modify it back down to stock and pussyfoot it around in an effort to get 1 or 2 mpgs more, then I would start to question why I even have it to begin with, because it certainly wouldn't be fun anymore.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:15 AM
zje400ex
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a college student and home for the summer so it wouldnt be worth it to buy a car right now. I dont drive when i go to school because i park my truck in the garage. I just drive my truck everyday to work and looking for some ways to get some more MPG's. I will buy a car once i graduate but for now i have the dodge. Maybe a motorcycle would be a good way to save some gas

Old 07-29-2009, 11:16 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver_Dodge
That's what I did. My Suzuki Swift gets around 47 mpg. I only paid $1500 for it, and I drive it to work and back 4 to 5 days a week. It paid for itself in the first 6 months I owned it from the savings I had on gas. So now when I drive the truck the rest of the time, I could care less what kind of MPG's it gets because the Swift more then makes up for it. My truck gets about 10-12, and that's driving it hard and having fun with it, which is why I have it and why I built it up the way i like it. If I had to modify it back down to stock and pussyfoot it around in an effort to get 1 or 2 mpgs more, then I would start to question why I even have it to begin with, because it certainly wouldn't be fun anymore.
Yepper. I'm building a 1972 VW Super Beetle that I'll probably drop either a 1776 or maybe go 1902cc engine into. That's going to be my daily driver and the Dodge will be what it's meant to be -- a work truck. The Beetle will get upward of 30mpg and surprise the hell out of people when I mash the throttle. While my truck gets great mileage (16.7 after rebuilding the tranny), using it as a daily driver is really not smart. It costs $50+ to fill the tank as compared to $22+ for the Beetle. Now, most people don't/won't understand that adjusted for inflation, gasoline is cheaper today than it was 25 years go; however, it just makes poor economic sense to drive the truck all of the time.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:37 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

I agree completely. An added benefit is that our trucks will last us longer because we are not putting unnecessary mileage on them. This means it will be a long time till I have to buy another truck, saving me even more money in the long run. Its a win-win.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:50 AM
Gary-L
Legend

I agree completely. An added benefit is that our trucks will last us longer because we are not putting unnecessary mileage on them. This means it will be a long time till I have to buy another truck, saving me even more money in the long run. Its a win-win.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:32 PM
RM_Indy
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sound thinking
My Indy has 60k, V10 50k
DD last few years is an 06 Yaris 2dr, 5spd in Indy blue Gets 39per way I drive though rated 40-52mpg lol

Old 07-29-2009, 12:42 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

I could by 23 more $1500 beater cars before I would spend as much as one brand new truck, and each one would get almost 4 times the gas mileage that a new pickup would get too. So if my Swift blows up tomorrow, no big deal, it is a throw away car. I'll get on craigslist and get another one.

My pickup has 97k on it now, but it has lots of life left in it, and I plan to squeeze as much out as I can. Even if the engine completely grenades tomorrow, I can put another one in with less miles then mine for around $1000. I know where a pulled 360 with 64,000 miles on the odometer is sitting right now, and the guy wants $800 for it.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:04 PM
Gary-L
Legend

185,000 on mine with 60K on the engine and a freshly rebuilt transmission. No problems!

Old 07-29-2009, 05:13 PM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FWIW, between the M1, HS 1.7 RRs and exhaust, I picked up about .5-1MPG mixed and 1-2MPG freeway.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:51 PM
Johnboy11
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own a 97 toyota camry and a 99 dodge ram. I have one for hauling horses ect... The other for around town. The only way to go really. I get around 32 mpg on camry. 14 avg on ram lol. Love both

Quick Reply: What are ways to increase your MPG?