2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:02 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

What are ways to increase your MPG?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 01:12 AM
zje400ex
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are ways to increase your MPG?

I've done some searches but haven't really found much...

What are some ways to improve MPG's in my 1997 dodge ram 1500 4x4 with the 5.9 liter magnum? I just ordered a hypertech programmer so hopefully i can gain a some there. My truck currently gets 10.5-10.9 mpg city. I have a 33x12.50r17 mickey thompsons on it now so thats what has killed my mileage

I'm thinking about an exhaust, throttle body spacer, and putting the programmer on it. What do you guys think?

Old 07-29-2009, 01:25 AM
96rumbledodge
Veteran

spacer will not do anything but make extra noise unless you just like wasting your money but dont get a spacer
they dont work on our motors

Old 07-29-2009, 01:29 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Only get the throttle body spacer if you just want a really expensive paper weight. On the older fuel injection setups, fuel was injected into the intake. That's where a TB works. On newer configurations, fuel is sprayed directly into the combustion chamber, so a TB loses it's effectiveness.
Yes, opening your exhaust will help a little bit, but only if you can manage to keep your foot out of the motor. As far as MPG gains and a tuner, hypertech would be your best bet, so I give you a 1+ there.

Have you checked the dreaded plenum gasket for leaks? That could be your MPG problem.
Where are you currently getting your gas?
Fuel has been something I played with for about a year, and I do know that it makes one hell of a difference. I used to buy fuel where ever I could find it the cheapest, and like you, I was getting about 10-11. MPG. I played with different stations, and over time found out that Shell 89 octane works the best for me.
Basic tune ups help as well. New plugs, plug wires, and cap/rotor.
Overall, your best bet to improve MPG is to change your driving habits. Contrary to popular belief, every motor has a sweet spot in the RPMs where it becomes the most fuel efficient. IMO, I think 2000 RPM is the sweet spot on the magnum motors.

One thing you need to keep in mind is the fact that you are driving a truck whose motor is a left over design that debuted in 1967. That being said, don't expect it to be efficient.
Oh, wow. After typing that all out, I just realized that your are complaining about city MPGs! 10-10.5 would be about right if you are driving in 100% city environment.

Old 07-29-2009, 04:27 AM
cool hand luke
Rookie

i have the hypertech and it did make a huge difference for the positive. about two mpg. but laramie is right. the biggest difference is driving habits. slow on the throttle, coasting to stops, not lugging or over-reving the motor. 13 seems to be about the limit for these motors. at least what ive observed here on the forum and asking around.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:27 AM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I get 12 city I keep it below 2k.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:17 AM
Twisted Metal
Captain

Ahh, yet another person looking for the "magic potion". Laramie is right we are dealing with 40 y/o design work here. And other what Dodge did to f things up, err i mean re-engineer, not too much has changed on them. Basic maintenance rules still apply, regular oil changes and tune ups. I was tought this simple kinda formula in my teens by a pretty wise guy,(who happens to have the same name I do)

AIR/Fuel IN- good clean air intake (CAI,RAC,even stock with a new filter. Clean TB/ Injectors. Pcv valve working properly, no vacum leaks.)

BURN- pretty self explanitory(good plugs, wires,cap,rotor,and coil. good fuel, water doesn't burn. clean combustion chambers. Seafoam ring a bell?)

AIR/FUEL OUT- (exhaust, Dodge 2nd Gens stink for this. Free flowing as possible, want to scavange out the spent stuff so its a clean,fresh burn everytime, or as close as possible. )

Lastly, there are no magic potions. Little tweaks and tricks add up in the long run. Want big power? Build a big block. Want MPG? buy a 4 cyl. We have big heavy trucks that are underpowered. Welcome to Dodge Ownership. But, on the other hand, there is no other truck I would own.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:49 AM
iwhitne
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yet again we have a mpg question.. it's simple

more air in = more fuel = less mpg's!!!!

The more air moving through your engine (i.e. CIA and exhaust) the more fuel the computer dumps to the engine!

Get a tune up!! I'm getting 15mpg combined city/highway

slow starts.. never take the engine over 2,500rpm when accelerating

here are a few more tips

*drive with the a/c off
*drive with defrost mode off
*lose weight (tool boxs ect..)
*slow starts/stops
*get a tune-up
*use good fuel
*maintain fluids
*no "hot rodding"
* SEARCH HARDER THERE ARE HUNDREDS OF MPG THREADS!!!

The following users liked this post:
Joe Hamlet (01-18-2021)
Old 07-29-2009, 08:51 AM
zje400ex
Captain

[quote=Laramie1997;1752678]

Have you checked the dreaded plenum gasket for leaks? That could be your MPG problem.
Where are you currently getting your gas?

I havent checked my plenum gasket for any leaks but i change my oil every 3000 miles and i have to add about 1.5 quarts in between oil changes. I plan on next summer replacing the gasket and a tune up since i'll have it all apart.

I currently get my gas at BP. Once i tune my engine with the programmer play around with the different settings and see which works best for me.
I also drive slow and easy on the throttle. I always try to keep it under 2000 RPM's driving in town. The reason for asking my question was to see what people have done to improve there MPG's. I have to fill up once a week and if i could find a way to gain some mpg's that would save me some cash.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:58 AM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ok, I my not do the work on my truck but if you have to top off the oil you have a problem thats needs to be fixed now!

Old 07-29-2009, 10:42 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Get a small, used car like a First Generation VW Jetta. The diesel will get upward of 40mpg. Use that as a daily driver rather than the Dodge.

Quick Reply: What are ways to increase your MPG?